First Nitro Beer On My Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same keg, switched between faucets?

Yes, same keg. I popped the new faucet on and kept the co2 attached to the keg. Pulled a pint. Then switched the gas and pulled another pint. That was the side by side.

It (Nitro) brings out the malt flavor and mutes the hop flavor. A little of the hop the aroma remains.

That foam-filled pour makes me think your keg is carbed closer to 2.5 volumes. Dispensing your keg through a restrictor plate at the typical 30-something PSI is likely scrubbing the hop character right out of the beer along with most of the CO2 - and the bite that it would provide.

fwiw, the beers I put on my nitro faucet are carbed to just 1.2-1.3 volumes, because much more than that makes for a foam-fest.
Very un-stout-like, and we can't be having that :)

I think you pretty much have to commit to the dispensing method and dial the carbonation level accordingly...

Cheers!

That foam-filled pour makes me think your keg is carbed closer to 2.5 volumes. Dispensing your keg through a restrictor plate at the typical 30-something PSI is likely scrubbing the hop character right out of the beer along with most of the CO2 - and the bite that it would provide.

fwiw, the beers I put on my nitro faucet are carbed to just 1.2-1.3 volumes, because much more than that makes for a foam-fest.
Very un-stout-like, and we can't be having that :)

I think you pretty much have to commit to the dispensing method and dial the carbonation level accordingly...

Cheers!

Yeah figgered I need to play with the pressures. The Ruddles brew as a best bitter is not hop forward by design. Its a light session brew kin to a light US beer.

My beer is close to 1.5 of CO2. My keezer taps are at 42F @ 8 psi with 100% CO2. (My old calculator is jacked-up its more like 2.0 VoC^2)

I'm playing with the dispense pressures. I have since played with the Nitro Gas Mix of 25-30 psi at 42F. It takes a good bit of time to collapse to a normal 1/4-1/2" head. ~5-6 minutes.

BTW - I have 3 tapper with 3 CO2 gas lines with a 4th line just the 70-30 Nitro.

Any advice is welcome. Was wondering weather to drop or increase the nitro pressure. Sounds like I need to adopt a new carb temp & pressure or flat-out prime with the intention to hit 1.2 -1.3 VoC0^2.

According to our favorite carbonation table, 42F @ 8 psi would eventually put the beer a hair over 2 volumes.
I run a Micromatic stout faucet (a beast - it's the war club of faucets compared to the five Perls on the tower) at 35 psi 70/30 mix.
As I said, the beers that pour best are barely carbed above their post-fermentation level. 1.3 volumes, tops. If I put a fresh keg on that I've over-carbed it'll be obvious in seconds, then I have to latch the PRV open and leave it for a day or more until it's calmed down...

Cheers!

OK- Makes sense. I just shut of the N and disconnected it, then popped the PRV. Keezer temps closer to 40F. It will be closer to 1.47 tomorrow at Beer:30.

Thanks!

According to our favorite carbonation table, 42F @ 8 psi would eventually put the beer a hair over 2 volumes.
I run a Micromatic stout faucet (a beast - it's the war club of faucets compared to the five Perls on the tower) at 35 psi 70/30 mix.
As I said, the beers that pour best are barely carbed above their post-fermentation level. 1.3 volumes, tops. If I put a fresh keg on that I've over-carbed it'll be obvious in seconds, then I have to latch the PRV open and leave it for a day or more until it's calmed down...

Cheers!

What temp are you running since you have perls and stout faucets.

I'm thinking of keeping the 40F @ 8 psi. Then prime my nitro beers at 1.3 with corn sugar and force carb all the perls.

Are you priming the nitro and forcing everything else?

Thoughts?

What temp are you running since you have perls and stout faucets.

I'm thinking of keeping the 40F @ 8 psi. Then prime my nitro beers at 1.3 with corn sugar and force carb all the perls.

Are you priming the nitro and forcing everything else?

Thoughts?

I have my carbonation fridge set to the same 36°F (+2°F differential) as my keezer and usually have both set to 10 psi. That'll put beer in a room temperature glass at around 42°F with a decent head.

I still carb the stouts on straight CO2 - but they get special-cased: I basically charge up the head space then valve them off. Repeat a couple/few times over a week or so and they're ready for the keezer. I don't think I could set the regulator low enough to hit 1.2 volumes anyway (heck, some calculators claim 0 psi is too high ;))

Cheers!

Also worth noting I bought a new gas (liquid) out gauge. 0-60 psi verses 0-200psi.

(0-200psi) It made it impossible to set the lower end pressure with some degree of confidence.

Back