First multiple step mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I did my first multiple temp step mash this weekend, only problem was that it wasn't planned at all. After mashing in I started to check temp and realized I was really high and stirring wasn't bringing it down. I then decided to add cold water to bring it to a nice even 64°C (147.2°F) I then realized that my target mash temp was supposed to be 68°C (154.4°F) and not 64°F. After a bit of a panic I searched the interwebs to find that 64°C was indeed too low for the beer I wanted. So I heated some water on the stove and poured it in, well this only raised the temp to 65°C (149°F). Once again panicking I heated more water to boiling this time and added it, still to low, so I repeated the process. Eventually I settled on a mash temp of 67.5°C (153.5°F) and since at this point there was only 20 mins left in the mash I decided to add another 10 mins to have at least 30 mins at a decent temperature. In the end I hope it's not too fermentable, I like that thick malty mouthfeel of my homebrews so far. Efficiency suffered a bit at 80% instead of 85% but that could be do to the fact that I was taking water from my sparge supply to add to the mash so I had less sparge water and a thinner mash in the end.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, and I'm not worried, I know I made beer. But what sort of beer shall it be, who knows. It's already a bit of a hodge podge, I started a wlp001 starter before realizing I only had the ingredients to make a batch of EPA (homebrew store shorted me hops needed for the other two batches) so it's an American-English pale ale...

Back