First Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koelpins

Reaction score
Hey there! I just bought Jim Baumann's Milk Stout Extract kit. I plan on brewing next week. I was told by the guys at More Beer that I should NOT add all 8 oz of the lactose as it will make the beer overly sweet. They suggested about 4-6 oz.

Just wondering if anyone felt the whole 8 oz was too much? Will I throw the final product off by adding too much?

Also, this is my first stout, is there anything significantly different in the brewing process as compared to any other ale? Don't want to screw it up!

Next up: Baumann's Milk Stout
Bubbling: Palmer Vienna Lager
Conditioning: American IPA
Bottled: Octoberfest
Drinking: Light Amber

I'd add it all. 8oz doesn't seem like it would be overly sweet. Good luck!

I just did my first chocolate stout in an attempt to end up with something similar to Samuel Smith's and put 2 lbs of lactose into 11g of wort. After boiling it tasted amazing. I would not be afraid to use the entire bag depending on your batch size.

I have a chocolate stout that I use almost a full pound in and it is not overly sweet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

8oz lactose is not that much in a 5g batch.

I was told once by a LHBS that 1lb of lactose was too much in a chocolate milk stout I was making with 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder. I did the whole pound anyway and it turned out great.

Expect to bottle-age this brew 3+ months before it reaches maturity and the lovely flavors meld together as one.

Back