first meads... high OG and HIGHER OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatanPrinceOfDarkness

Reaction score
So, I thought I'd do two 1-gallon batches. I had about 6.5 lbs of honey and so I put 2.5 lbs in one gallon thinking it would end dry, and put the rest in the second, thinking it would end sweet.

I also decided to use some Windsor Ale Yeast I had lying around. I knew it was unlikely to get the job done, but I wanted the challenge, and I wouldn't mind have to restart it.

They've been slowly fermenting now for 5 days and they are still in the first third of attenuation.

I'm realizing I way overshot these. I'm seeing sweet mead recipes with 1.12 or 1.13 OG. My sweet mead had an OG of 1.158. It's only at 1.125 right now. The 'dry' mead started about 1.11 and is down to 1.08.

I've been doing nutrient additions (Wyeast Yeast Nutrient) and aerating (by shaking/swirling) every twelve hours since Saturday night. It's exhausting frankly. Especially for only half a case of wine. I'm planning to stop once I've done 1/3 total attenuation.

I fully expect these things not to make it 1.01, let alone 1.000. I expect to go buy a high ABV yeast to get them to finish up. But... is that even possible starting at 1.158? Should I dilute it to make it more reasonable? Anything else I can try?

Oh, and when I re-pitch, should I start nutrient additions again, or should it be fine with what's there now?

I am no expert,but adding a second yeast would eat up what little of the original nutrients are left as well as takeaway some of the characteristics that the primary yeast added to it. Its unlikely that the yeast tolerance can ferment that amount of sugar with it being an ale yeast, however I'd like to think you could split the batch up and perhaps dilute it down with some water and perhaps repitch some of the same yeast. Some additional nutrient should kick start things. Perhaps a more seasoned brewer can clarify this:p

Perhaps repitch with Lalvin's K1V-1116 or EC-1118, and hope for the best....should easily take the 2.5 lb dry, should ferment the 4 lb batch down a lot whole further, maybe semi-sweet, maybe dry.....they are beasts of yeasts. There are various ways to acheive a sweet/semi-sweet mead, adding that much honey all up front perhaps not the best way. I only use ale yeast in ....wait for it...............................ales :)

Back