First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnewcomb

Reaction score
My mead is 6 months old finally. I tried it and it tastes very alcoholic and a touch harsh. I used the white labs sweet mead yeast and clover honey. Do I just need to give it more time? Should I use a wine conditioner? Thoughts please

My first and only mead was the same way. I had read that meads should age at least a year or way longer. Mine is now over a year and it's much smoother than at 6 months. Can't speak for the wine conditioner though. I mainly brew beer.

I too mostly brew beer. I have done several meads. The first one was pretty bad. It fermented too warm. Then I tried Jack's Apricot mead. It was good. The I subbed in 2 cups Craisins, 2 Tablespoons Mexican Vannilla, 2 cinnamon sticks. Wow! that was even better. I have used this base recipe in 4 other flavors. We'll see how they turn out. Jack's recipe can be good before 6 months. Give it a shot.
Brew on.

Back