First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnor

Reaction score
I made a 2.5 gallon batch of mead. I put 3kg of honey and 2.5 gallons of water added ec-1118 yeast and 1tsp of yeast energizer. Its been fermenting at 68 one bubble every 4 seconds. I did this just as a test was wondering if there is things i should do next time ? Any tips on what i should do with this one or the next one would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

get a hydrometer and take some readings. It will allow you to calculate

ABV +
If the batch is done fermenting —or— Stalled +
It makes you look really smart in front of non brewer friends. +
you can determine when you should still be adding nutrients (and aerating) through SNA.

Doing the latter (Staggered Nutrient Additions, and aeration) will give you healthier ferments and through that, better mead in the long run.

Well there's gonna be many ideas and suggestions, but if you pile over to gotmead forums, you'll find a yellow dialogue box on the front page with a link to their "newbee" guide.

things like why EC1118 is ok but there are better choices (K1-V1116 for example). Staggered nutrient addition. Early stage aeration and so on......

the GM newbee guide is quite a read but it does explain a hell of a lot.......

Degas and do as said above; staggered nutrient addition. EC1118 is slow and high ABV so nutrient is important.

Add additional nutrient (1/2 - 3/4 tsp) now, and then again in 1 week from now.

Degas!

When you say degas do you just mean remove the airlock? Should i swirl it around or not move it?

degas means gently stir or swirl.
I'd aerate vigorously at least once a day for the first week.

Mines been going for one month and I still degas it - I don't remove the airlock, I just violently swing it around.

When is good to rack from a primary to secondary?

Here is my mead ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395623063.843073.jpg

No i didn't use anything just left it. I tasted it and its drinkable but im leaving it for a bit and try it to see if the alcohol taste drops out abit.

That's nice, my mead hasn't cleared like that without some artificial means, but I generally have been adding fruits and juices or grains.

The alcohol taste can be mellowed with age, although albeit very slowly, especially if bottled.

If it were me (and I'm no pro), excess alcoholic tastes would be combatted by vanilla, oaking, and/or a backsweeten. Unless it was above 16%, in which case I'd just drink it as is :)

Back