First mead tasting like butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisandthat

Reaction score
Plain mead, just honey, water, fermaid k. 1 gallon.

We tasted it a couple days ago and it was good but a bit tart. I added wracked into a second jug and added potassium sorbate(half teaspoon) and potassium metabisulfite(1 campden tablet). Last night I filtered out the bits of campden that didn't want to dissolvel. I warmed up some honey and disolved a few table spoons into the mead and did a tasting.

I tastes quite strongly of butter.

I understand that that flavour can come from Diacetyl which can be from a bacteria problem. The mead is about 13-14%, is diacetyl able to grow at that high of alcohol? I did wash everything, but of course mistakes happen.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Jon

You used about 2X more k-sorbate than needed, but that doesn't result in a butter taste. Over-sorbating results in a bubble gum type flavor.

This mead is almost 6 months old. I'll leave it for a while and see if it goes away. I'd just like to figure out what I did wrong because it didn't have the taste till I added the chemicals and honey...Just not sure what did it, the honey, the chemicals, or something that got mixed in during the transfer process....O well may never know.

I guess it is time to try batch two.

Back