First Mead, Slow Fermentation - Nutrient Additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultryx

Reaction score
Started my first mead a couple weeks ago. Fermentation seems a little slow and I'd like to know how to speed up the process to keep the yeast healthy. I've added a small amount of Wyeast Wine Nutrient Blend twice and activity seems to perk up post-addition. Should I just keep adding a bit of nutrient every few days? Is that okay?

SG: 1.095
Current Gravity: 1.065
Temperature: 72 degrees F

~ 10 lbs honey
3 gallons water
Lalvin 71-B yeast

Yes I’d give it a stir to degas and get the yeast suspended, then add some nutrients. You can add nutrients up till its 9-10%abv. How much you add and when depends on your yeast and the nutrients your using.

I've been giving the bucket a small rotational jostle each day to release some of the CO2 from the liquid. I'll add some more nutrients today. I added a little around 2-3 days ago and it dropped the SG 5 points so that seems to help.

Thanks for the info on the ABV limit. Is there a reason you shouldn't add nutrient beyond 9-10% ABV? Just curious about it.

Everyone says The yeast can’t absorb or use it past that point. your suppose to have enough put in by that point to help the yeast finish. You need the amount of nutrients to go with the amount of sugar, it’s not a one set amount.

Everyone says The yeast can’t absorb or use it past that point. your suppose to have enough put in by that point to help the yeast finish. You need the amount of nutrients to go with the amount of sugar, it’s not a one set amount.

Thanks for the info. I assumed it was generally a one stop addition or smaller additions totaling a set amount. Always learning new stuff. Thank you!

Well yes there are general instructions, but you can always fine tune it for a better product. Also, wine nutrients are not enough “as instructed” when being used for a traditional mead. Honey has no nutrients, so Unless you added a bunch of other stuff like fruits to primary, you usually need to at least double the instructed amount

Well yes there are general instructions, but you can always fine tune it for a better product. Also, wine nutrients are not enough “as instructed” when being used for a traditional mead. Honey has no nutrients, so Unless you added a bunch of other stuff like fruits to primary, you usually need to at least double the instructed amount

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Back