First Mead, reporting in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boasist

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So on New Years I had mead for the first time. It was Viking Blod and I really enjoyed it. Flash forward to today and I have it in the secondary now! This is my first mead, and here is the breakdown.

I boiled 4 gals of water and added raisins and hops to that water, at flameout I added in 15# of wildflower honey. I then brought that to 72 degrees and added the yeast (Super High Gravity 099). It went off well and I continued with my readings, 02 additions, and energizer additions daily from there. Tastes awesome albeit quite strong right now.

OG after all additions was 1.187, I'm now at 1.014. I cold crashed to drop some off and then racked to a carboy for aging. Tons of sediment already in the carboy and it's started to bubble again. I did add in the 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate when putting it in the secondary as well.

So now I'm just going to age in the carboy for a 6+ months and go from there.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thank you

Back