First Mead - May have screwed it up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinnasst

Reaction score
I'm looking for some thoughts/wisdom from you experienced mead makers...

I've been brewering beer for a few years now, and thought I'd try my hand at mead.

I used the following recipe for a 3 gallon batch:
10 lb Clover Honey
9 tsp Acid Blend
3 tsp yeast nutient
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
2 packets of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

I mixed everything but the yeast together, brought the volume to ~3 gallons, and added 3 campden tablets dissolved in water. 24 hours later I pitched the yeast. This was in late December.

At the end of January, the gravity was down to 1.044. I racked to secondary, and added another packet of yeast, and topped up the volume.

I checked the hydrometer reading yesterday. It was 1.036, which is about the same, once corrected for the water I added.

The mead is still cloudy, and the airlock is still bubbling once in a while. I tasted the hydrometer sample. It was still sweet, and with a slight twang.

I've got some questions:
1.) How do I get my fermentation to finish?
2.) Is that twang from the acid or should I be concerned about an infection? (I've never had an infected beer...)
3.) Should I just relax and let it ferment it out, however long it takes?

Thanks.

I don't know about the twang, but fermentation causes some flavors to change over time, so I wouldn't worry about that. That is a boatload of acid blend, though. Usually I add acid blend "to taste" so maybe a teaspoon or so if it needs it. Still, it might be just fine!

Well, to make sure it's going well, keep it at 70 degrees or so, higher if you can. If you could keep it at a steady 75, that would probably work great. Add some yeast nutrient, and give it plenty of time. Don't rack until it's about done- racking will remove it from most of the yeast will stall it again. Honey takes a long time to ferment out, and it can use more nutrient since there isn't much in the way of nutrients naturally in honey for the yeast to eat.

I'll add some more yeast nutrient, and I'll leave it in the carboy for now. The closet the carboy is in is at about 64 F. I'll see what I can do about warming it up.

Re: the quantity of acid blend. This is my first non-beer/cider. Is there anything else I should be doing that maybe I am not? e.g. I am not agitating the yeast regularly; should I be?

Thanks for the help.

No, you should just leave it alone, and warm enough to ferment! More nutrient will help, as will more warmth.

I assume you repitched with the EC-1118? That should take it to dry.

I added some yeast nutrient this afternoon.

and yes, I did repitch with EC-1118.

Here's hoping it turns out okay.

that is SO much acid blend...it may have your pH too low for the yeast to be really happy.

you may need to add some fruit to get this to finish out. nothing acidic like raspberries...maybe blueberries.

Chalk it up to a rookie mistake?

Would it be worth diluting to a larger volume (and adding more honey to keep the gravity). I have open 5 and 6 gallon carboys.

Nothing against adding fruit, but I wanted to keep my first mead relatively simple. I've also never tried a fruit mead.

Back