First mead bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
Finished bottling my first mead. It's a cherry melomel and tastes delicious. I'm going to age it for a few months before I open one of the bottles.
1219170642.jpg

Looks very clear. Did you use sour or sweet cherries? Did you use fruit or juice? Did you add the cherry to the secondary or the primary?

Added two pounds of frozen Bing Cherries that I thawed and crushed to secondary. Racked it twice to remove all the sediment. Thanks for the compliment on the clarity.

Thanks for your swift response. Sometimes, wines (or meads) remind folk of cough medicine. That is certainly more typical when the ABV is quite high (yours isn't according to the label), the pH is relatively "high" (so it is not very acidic) and the wine (or mead) is sweet. And I think that this tends to occur most often with cherry wines and meads. Have you let others taste your mead to check to see whether they get such flavor notes? I see you have a bottle a quarter full. You might ask someone with a good palate to taste that one..

My adult daughter and wife both tasted it and liked it. The FG was 1.024 so it was sweet which they both like.

Back