first mead batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completelyuncorked

Reaction score
Ok, I did a variant of JAOM and heres what Ive got so far...started off with a 3gal carboy, about 10.5lbs of honey, instead of regular oranges I used a dozen cutie oranges, about 50-60 raisins, 2 cups of raspberries, 3 cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 3xdash of nutmeg and allspice each, spring water to top it off and Im sure I could have used a better/different yeast but I used red star champagne yeast as that is what I had on hand. Initial SG after I mixed it up yesterday was 1.130, I added the yeast today after I got home from work and am now waiting patiently to start seeing some activity in the air lock. Constructive criticism is accepted and appreciated!

Should work fine, except using that yeast is likely to ferment it dry, and the JAO recipe isn't good as a dry mead as it seems to concentrate any bitterness from the pith, where a benchmark JAO.finishes sweet which normally masks that.

So I'd suggest that you just let it finish, then just back sweeten it to the flavour/sweetness level you prefer.......

Back