First major blunder :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisjonesjr

Reaction score
I made my first major blunder the other day. I was racking my wheat beer into the secondary onto some raspberry flavoring, it was about half way done when I realized I don't actually remember using my starsan to clean it out. I remember washing it but that's it. At that point it was to late to do anything so I hoped for the best.

Day 1 in secondary: I pop'ed the airlock to add some of the nutrient that looks like white pellets, SG was a little high when I racked it :p

Day 2 in secondary: I notice some white floaties see below picture. I can't be sure if it's growing or not so I can't tell if it's a bacteria or not.

Day 4: (today) I took pictures :p

So........
1. What does it look like to you?
2. If it is bacteria is there any way to save it :(

IMGP1447.jpg

IMGP1450.jpg

Did you take a gravity reading at the beginning and at secondary? How long on primary? If it was reasonably alcoholic you'r probably ok. The white floaties could be the nutrient. I added cinnamon in secondary not too long ago, it raised up similarly. You may have to wait this one out.

This is only my 3rd beer ever and it was a kit from my LHBS
5 days in the primary
OG was about 1.048 - 1.050
SG before racking was a little over 1.020
A buddy at work was think it was the nutrient as well, so that's what I'm hoping for.
It is also my first wheat beer so it smells a little strange to me anyway lol

Let it go. IF it turns out to be an infection, you can always rack under the pelicle to bottling bucket/keg when it's ready. As long as it's palatable you are golden, nothing in there that can hurt you

Awesome thanks, that's reassuring :)
I was hoping to bottle this weekend but with this problem I might have to wait a week just to see how it goes lol

Don't rush this too much 5 in primary and 7 in secondary may nitty be long enough. trust your gravity readings.

Back