first lager underway...pitched too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendo80

Reaction score
I brewed a variation of SpanishCastleAle's Traditional Bock, staying pretty close to the recipe. It all went pretty well with my new wilser bag, hit my gravity spot on, mash efficiency at 74%, although my brewhouse efficiency is still low due to too much trub loss in the kettle (probably need to worry less about too much trub...)

so it's off and running this morning, but I had my ferm chamber set a bit high overnight, so the fermentation got off to a roaring start at 58 degrees. I've stepped it down this morning toward 52....will try to level off at 50.

any ideas on what kind of effect will the first 12 hours at 58 will have on the final product?

I don't think it will be a big deal... One of the yeast companies (think White Labs), in their instructions for lagers, say to start warmer and then drop to regular temps shown in yeast guide. For stronger fermentation, I believe.

My first lager I did this, along with two vials of yeast. Was at, appx. 65-68 deg F. It had blown out the top next morning. Dropped to 51-52 deg F. Turned out pretty well.

Since then I've been convinced to get one vial, build starter, then pitch at regular lager fermentation temps is best way, so that's what I try to do... But I think you are okay, so don't worry.

I don't think it will be a big deal... One of the yeast companies (think White Labs), in their instructions for lagers, say to start warmer and then drop to regular temps shown in yeast guide. For stronger fermentation, I believe.

My first lager I did this, along with two vials of yeast - recommended by LHBS. Was at, appx. 65-68 deg F. It had blown out the top next morning. Dropped to 51-52 deg F. Turned out pretty well.

Since then I've been convinced to get one vial, build starter, then pitch at regular lager fermentation temps is best way, so that's what I try to do... But I think you are okay, so don't worry.

thanks...it's down around 50 ambient, but now the wait for the lager schedule!

I would suggest a diacetyl rest, or at least sample for it once fermentation starts to ramp down. I grow a large starter and pitch my lagers at 44-46F, then ferment at 48-50F. I ramp up to mid-60s for a couple days once fermentation starts to die down. Even pitching this cold, I usually have action within 24 hours or so, and I think it makes a cleaner lager with less chance of diacetyl.

Thanks for the tips, a lager is a little more complicated than the ales I've brewed so far and I appreciate the advice. I'm looking forward to how this Bock turns out....perhaps a Pilsner is next...

Latest update....came home on Friday to find the GFCI breaker tripped in the garage and the ferm chamber was dark. Reset breaker and checked temps. Ambient inside had only reached 56, so I'm guessing no real damage done. Still a slow bubble going as of tonight, but wondering if the ferment is really going to hold up an entire two weeks.

I'm thinking I'll start the diacetyl rest on Friday, let it finish out until Sunday (for 2-weeks total) then transfer to keg for lagering.

Thoughts on leaving it on longer? Also, any opinions on doing a secondary vs. straight to keg for lagers?

I would suggest a diacetyl rest, or at least sample for it once fermentation starts to ramp down. I grow a large starter and pitch my lagers at 44-46F, then ferment at 48-50F. I ramp up to mid-60s for a couple days once fermentation starts to die down. Even pitching this cold, I usually have action within 24 hours or so, and I think it makes a cleaner lager with less chance of diacetyl.

+1. This is the preferred way of doing it for a really nice, clean lager flavor profile.

Yep, that's what I'm heading for....hopefully it all works out. Secondary or just go straight to keg?

Yep, that's what I'm heading for....hopefully it all works out. Secondary or just go straight to keg?

I typically let my lagers stand at around 50F after my diacetyl rest until I hit the 4 week mark in primary, then keg and lager. I personally don't secondary. Two weeks seems pretty quick to rack to keg.

Can you cold crash the primary for a week at 35* or so after the d-rest? That's what I do then rack the clear beer into the keg for lagering at the same temp.

Can you cold crash the primary for a week at 35* or so after the d-rest? That's what I do then rack the clear beer into the keg for lagering at the same temp.

I usually ramp back down to 50-52F for a couple more weeks after the d-rest then I cold crash at 33-34F for a day or two and then rack to keg for lagering.

Thanks....so after the d-rest, a week or two on longer in primary sounds like the consensus, then cold crash, then keg and lager. Sounds like a plan!

Thanks....so after the d-rest, a week or two on longer in primary sounds like the consensus, then cold crash, then keg and lager. Sounds like a plan!

Once you complete the d-rest (which should be initiated when it gets to 75% of the way from OG to expected FG), it's done fermenting so there's no good reason to let it sit in the primary another couple of weeks before cold crashing. Also, you're not going to thoroughly crash out lager yeast in a day. Give it at least 5 days in the cold before transfer to the keg.

Back