First lager - success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager in November, a Baltic Porter. I bottled half and lagered the rest in one gallon jugs. Like a kid on Christmas, I couldn't wait to try this out, so I took one out of the fridge that had bottle lagered almost five weeks.

Some notes:

*The beer poured nearly opaque, but had red highlights when held up to light, which I thought was neat.
*This beer had the tightest, prettiest, most long-lasting head I have ever had on any of my beers (and maybe of any beer I have ever had). From the initial pour to the last sip, I always had at least 1/2" of head.
*It tastes great so far. Lots of roastiness and dark fruit flavors. Some coffee notes and a mild alcohol warmth. A roasty/hoppy finish balances this out very well.

This was only after about 25 days of lagering, so I can only imagine what beers left 8-10 weeks will taste like. I'm also interested to see how this ages. Overall this is a rousing success, and depending on how this ages it may be my best year yet :mug:.

DSC_2006.jpg

Sounds great, I'm jealous. My first lager is "lagering" at 35. Racked it on Jan 22nd. So tempted to hook it up to the tap, but I gotta be strong. Bottled beer will have to do for another month.

I'm in Cincinnati i'm almost willing to drive up and try one lol... my baltic porter is getting lagered next week :)! Cheers

Back