First lager recipe - Vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayZab

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm working on my first lager recipe, and am looking to create a vienna lager that doesn't have a lot of sweetness on the back end (from crystal malts) and is mostly vienna. Below is what I put together, please let me know your suggestions:

Estimated O.G.: 1.050
Estimated F.G.: 1.011
ABV: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.0 IBUs
Color 13.1 SRM

82.5 % - Weyermann Vienna
10 % - Weyermann Munich II
2.5 % - Carafa Special II
2.5 % - Carafoam
2.5 % - Melanoidin
21.8 IBUs - Northern Brewer at 60 min
3.2 IBUs - Saaz at 15 min

WLP838 Southern German Lager Yeast
Pitch at 48 F, ferment at 50 F

Thanks!

My favorite Vienna lager is 100% vienna malt. it's awesome.

It depends on your goals, with the carafa and melanoidin- so it may not be the same as my taste- but a Vienna lager with all vienna malt is fantastic.

I agree with Yooper.

You can simplify that recipe to 90% Vienna, 10% Munich II and have a very enjoyable lager.

Would love to try 100% Vienna sometime. Though this time I need to create a recipe that will fit the BJCP guidelines well and need atleast carafa to match color. I have been considering dropping Munich.

Would love to try 100% Vienna sometime. Though this time I need to create a recipe that will fit the BJCP guidelines well and need atleast carafa to match color. I have been considering dropping Munich.

That's a valid reason. Those darn BJCP judges (like Yooper :D) will find the slightest excuse to ding you a point! :smack:

Thanks for the input. This has given me enough confidence to atleast drop the Munich. Going to go with 92.5% Vienna for the base.

Latest posts

Back