first Lager recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandofOZ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:confused:Ok so i am going to venture to lager land. Simple recipee that i can land in a cool basement of 45 t0 55 degreesfor a month. I can control primary and secondary fermentation in my fermrntation chamber. I brew 5 gallon all grain, brew and sparge in bag. (I am not afreid to admit i am an BMC drinker that likes his beers light and not vary hoppy) I am venturing out however as i did like Blue Moons Winter Abby AleI will be using dry yeast eithere Saflager S 23 or their w 34/70 any helpwould be apreciated:tank:

Simple BMC recipe

You need some VERY good water.

1.2 lbs/finished gallon of pale malt
0.4 lbs/finished gallon of adjuncts (corn or rice)

.01 oz/finished gallon of bittering hops ( 60 minutes)
.01 oz/finished gallon of flavoring hops (15 minutes)

Here's a German Pils I brewed recently. Can't get much more simple, and it's really pretty tasty. It should be right up your alley. I definitely would have preferred it to be hoppier than it is, and when I brew it again, will definitely up the hop additions. You may like it as is, though.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Actual OG: 1.048
Actual FG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 4.95%
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 94.12 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 35.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [4 liter Starter]

A four liter freaking starter? WOW! I know that a large starter is necessary with lagers, but how do you put A GALLON of starter into 5.5 gallons of beer into a 6.5 gallon carboy? :)

Here's a German Pils I brewed recently. Can't get much more simple, and it's really pretty tasty. It should be right up your alley. I definitely would have preferred it to be hoppier than it is, and when I brew it again, will definitely up the hop additions. You may like it as is, though.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Actual OG: 1.048
Actual FG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 4.95%
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 94.12 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 35.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [4 liter Starter]

A four liter freaking starter? WOW! I know that a large starter is necessary with lagers, but how do you put A GALLON of starter into 5.5 gallons of beer into a 6.5 gallon carboy? :)

Decant! Put the starter in the fridge for 12-24 hours, pour off the liquid phase, swirl the dregs until they flow and pitch that part. Should be less than 2 cups of suspended solids.

Decant! Put the starter in the fridge for 12-24 hours, pour off the liquid phase, swirl the dregs until they flow and pitch that part. Should be less than 2 cups of suspended solids.

Right on! I started it a 7 days before my expected brew day. Ferment for 6 days and chill in fridge for 24 hours. Decant majority of liquid and just pitch the yeast slurry.

I should also mention I stepped up the starter from 1 liter to 4 liters over a few days.

Thanks for helping me understand this. I was thinking you needed 4 liters of actual yeast! I know, idiot... What do you use for your starters this large? I have a one gallon glass "jug" that I'm going to use for some JAOM soon, so I better use it for a yeast starter before the JAOM, since the JAOM will take about 6 months in the fermenter...

2 row
carapils
rice flakes/syrup
tett, saaz hops around 25 ibu's

146*f mash sacch rest

Back