First Lager - Oktoberfest Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent756

Reaction score
This is the first time I've done a lager and I have a question about how long I should ferment. I know the recipe calls for 21 days, but I'm already below the FG of 1.014, I'm currently at 1.010. I used the below recipe with a few modifications.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/worlds-best-oktoberfest-123493/

I did a single infusion mash for 45 mins at 152. I pulled a single decoction and boiled for 30 mins and returned to the tun to reach mash out. I used Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 and made a stepped starter, first with 1.5L. Cold crashed and decanted and then stepped up to 2L. Cold crashed and decanted the 2L before pitching.

My efficiency was a little bit low and I ended up with 1.052 vs 1.059 for OG. I cooled the wort post boil to about 70. Put it in my fermentation chamber and set it to 50 degrees and let it sit until the next day. I pitched the starter at 50 and it's been there for 10 days now.

Should I pull it out of the fermentation chamber and do a D-rest now since my FG is low, or should I let it sit in the primary longer?

Thanks in advance.

I've only done a few lagers, but from my reading on the subject, if you've hit your FG (or are even within a few points of it - which you are), then there's no reason not to do a d-rest now. Might as well finish fermentation and let the lagering begin.

Looks like a good recipe.

Agree with Omahawk, go for the d-rest now. Also consider doing a forced diacetyl test prior to starting your lagering. Warm a covered sample up to 150 and smell it. If there is any diacetyl or precursors, it will bring them to the foreground. If you smell any, just let it sit at d-rest temps for longer.

Nothing worse than having your finely crafted lager taste like buttered popcorn.

Agree with Omahawk, go for the d-rest now. Also consider doing a forced diacetyl test prior to starting your lagering. Warm a covered sample up to 150 and smell it. If there is any diacetyl or precursors, it will bring them to the foreground. If you smell any, just let it sit at d-rest temps for longer.

Nothing worse than having your finely crafted lager taste like buttered popcorn.

This is good advice and exactly what I do with my lagers and they always turn out great. The only thing I do differently is also compare the heated sample to a non-heated sample and they should smell/taste the same.

Back