First lager - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swfc68

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager a couple weeks ago - an all grain Bohemian pilsner. I had it in primary at 50-55 and was planning on about 10 days in there but I wasn't able to get back to it for 2 full weeks before I moved it to secondary. When I was going over the recipe in my LHBS I was advised to try and catch the fermentation at about 1018 and then move it to 2ndary but when i did transfer it the gravity reading was already down at 1012 which is only 1 or 2 points above my target FG ( I don't have the recipe at hand so i can't be sure whether it was 1010 or 1011)
I was planning to keep it in the 2ndary for 4 weeks and slowly drop the temp a couple degrees a day down to the low 30's and then bottle after that. Does this plan still work since I already got so close to FG? Should I react or should i just go on as planned?

-Andy

Did you taste any diacetyl in the hydrometer sample? You might want to consider a diacetyl rest right now, by leaving it at room temperature for a few days. Transfer to secondary only after the diacetyl rest, or after FG has already been reached for a few days. Then drop it down a few degrees per day until you get to lagering temperature.

My typical lager schedule goes like this:
2 weeks or so in primary until 75%-85% of estimated FG is reached
Diacetyl rest at 65F until FG is reached.
Transfer to secondary and crash down to 50F or so.
Lower the temp 2 degress per day until 34-38F.
Lager for 2-6 months depending on style.

you are fine, did you do a rest at room temperature for 2-3 days? Does it smell or taste buttery? If not then you are ok. You are suppose to rest it before the final gravity at room temperature to get rid of any buttery flavors.

I forgot to mention, you may want the beer to clear a little before secondary. This helps ensure that fermentation is complete and gives you less sediment in secondary. Of course, my posts are only based on my personal experiences with lagers, and what works for me. I completely skipped a diacetyl rest, and didn't even make a starter on my first 3 lagers, and they actually turned out really well. But it seems like I was rolling the dice back in those days.

I'm not sure. I honestly don't really 100% know that i can identify diacetyl. I've seen and read descriptions of it but I'm not sure I could confidently taste it and identify it. The sample I tasted was pretty good but it definitely was a little fruitier or more kolsch-y as opposed to a drier, pilsner flavor.

It didn't really taste buttery. It was also pretty clear already which is why I went ahead with transferring to 2ndary.

It didn't really taste buttery. It was also pretty clear already which is why I went ahead with transferring to 2ndary.

I think you'll be absolutely fine; even if there is a little diacetyl, it is acceptable in a Bohemian Pilsner in small amounts. Did you go with the triple-decoction mash by any chance?

Ha. :) No I didn't I'm afraid -that all seemed a bit adventurous for my first Pilsner so I just did a two step mash with a 30 min protein rest and a 60 minute mash.

Ha. :) No I didn't I'm afraid -that all seemed a bit adventurous for my first Pilsner so I just did a two step mash with a 30 min protein rest and a 60 minute mash.

Perfectly acceptable. Consider it on your next Bohemian Pilsner, so you can see if it makes any difference. Just don't do what I did on my last Bohemian Pilsner, and get a nasty 2nd degree burn on the second decoction.

Back