First lager fermentation temp advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
After years of ales in brewing my first lager based on the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I'd like to keep this simple if I can but I don't want to risk a bad batch. The recipe calls for a fermentation temp of 50. Assuming my A419 is working I should have no issues. But should I worry about changing the temps asking the way or can I just keep it at 50 for 3 weeks? If I can keep it at 50 then I could also make a second batch next week and put it along side the first batch.

Just keep it at 50, when you're 80% done, take it out and give it a D-rest (10 degrees warmer) then lager close to freezing.

Just keep it at 50, when you're 80% done, take it out and give it a D-rest (10 degrees warmer) then lager close to freezing.

Thanks for the reply. I think I need another post on the lagering step. To keep my brewing cycle going I could lager in the keezer if it's ok to do that in a keg but I need to ask more questions.

Thanks for the reply. I think I need another post on the lagering step. To keep my brewing cycle going I could lager in the keezer if it's ok to do that in a keg but I need to ask more questions.

Sure, you can lager in a keg in the keezer. I like to lager as close to freezing as possible, but certainly 40 degrees or so, depending on your keezer temperature, would be fine!

Back