First Lager - Ferment too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

My first attempt at a lager and using my new fermentation chamber and I'm wondering if it's normal for it to ferment so quickly: it's the BYO Bohemian Pilsner recipe, Wyeast Urquell Lager (2001). I made a big starter (4L in two steps), and pitched into OG 1.055 wort at 10C. When I check 7 days later, it was at 1.020, and as I was expecting 1.016 or so FG, I started the diecytl rest, bringing it up to 18C. 2 Days later it was at 1.010 (the low FG is a separate issue I may have mashed too low temp) and holding steady.

Is it normal for a lager to ferment so quickly (less then 10 days incl rest)? Everything I read said lagers take 2-3 weeks to ferment. Did something go wrong, or should I just proceed with the normal steps now (rack and lager)?

thanks!

Hi All,

My first attempt at a lager and using my new fermentation chamber and I'm wondering if it's normal for it to ferment so quickly: it's the BYO Bohemian Pilsner recipe, Wyeast Urquell Lager (2001). I made a big starter (4L in two steps), and pitched into OG 1.055 wort at 10C. When I check 7 days later, it was at 1.020, and as I was expecting 1.016 or so FG, I started the diecytl rest, bringing it up to 18C. 2 Days later it was at 1.010 (the low FG is a separate issue I may have mashed too low temp) and holding steady.

Is it normal for a lager to ferment so quickly (less then 10 days incl rest)? Everything I read said lagers take 2-3 weeks to ferment. Did something go wrong, or should I just proceed with the normal steps now (rack and lager)?

thanks!

Sounds perfect to me.

If you have a lager on the really low end of the yeast temps it can take longer, around the 2-3 week range, but I have never done one that low and slow.
I usually start on the low end for a few days then go up to the middle range, around like you were at 50F - 10C, and let it go for another 4-6 days.
Usually by by 7 with that schedule you 5-10 points from FG and need to ramp it up for a D-rest. I usually D-rest around 65F and leave it there for a week.

A lot of lager brewers are going to a faster ferment schedule, which I sort of do also... I am usually in a keg in 16-18 days from grain, carb up and start drinking, of course it will be slightly better after a month on the gas.

This is from Tasty McDole -
My Dortmunder Export (1.050) takes two weeks from flame to glass. I raise the temperature in response to the level of fermentation I see in the blow-off. A typical regimen would be 50F for about three days, 52F for another two days, 55F for two days, 60F for two days, 70F for 3 days. Then I rack and crash on day 12, filter and carbonate on day 14. I use WLP833.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=21424

Good luck with your first lager.

Also sounds good to me. Nothing wrong at all with a fast lager ferment, that means you pitched enough healthy yeast (which along with temp control are top priorities for lagers).

About to get my large lager starter going. Maybe my 5th and 6th lagers with most of my experience being ales.

Awesome! Great news: i was stressed I had screwed it up as I figured it would take a month to ferment out.

I usually start my diacetyl rest after about 4 days at 50° (depending on a gravity reading). But I'll let it sit at 60° for 5-6 days. So 10 days is about right.

Back