First Lager, did I lager too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerga

Reaction score
I have been brewing ales for awhile now, but decided to try lagering my Dad's old recipe. I reached my FG after 3 weeks at the recommended temp of the yeast that I used and took another reading at week 4 with the same results.

I transfered into my lagering carboy and have maintained the same temperature for a week now. I have noticed that about 1/2" of trub has settled in the secondary. Is this normal or should I consider racking again before I start dropping my temps down? I intend to lager for a month and then bottle.

I can't recall the exact yeast used bute it was a standard American lager from safale, recommended fermenting temp of 48-56F.

Cheers!

It's normal. No need to rack again. I don't go to a secondary. I just transfer from my primary to a keg, cold crash, add gelatin, then force carb. I know you're bottling but you'll be able to bottle from your secondary.

Actually, you're probably going into a bottling bucket anyway so just transfer carefully art that time.

Many thanks. I would have lagered in a keg but considering this is one of those time consuming projects and my limited bottling from keg equipment, I'll be transferring to a bottling bucket after lagering.

Thanks again!

After four weeks? No way you went to lagering too soon. I haven't ever left a lager in the primary for that long (usually about 10 days) and right after the diacetyl rest I proceed to lagering. So I generally start the lagering process by about day 12.

Yes, no problem. Part of the lagering process is settling out yeast, hop particles, polyphenols, and anything in there. As it lagers, the stuff will form a nice little compact layer on the bottom. Then with a little careful siphoning to your bottling bucket, you'll have beautifully clear beer.
By the way, it's kind of cool that you used your Dad's recipe. I'm reading Jim Koch's new book, and he recounts where his Dad dug out an old family recipe from an attic trunk that turned out to be Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Back