First Lager - coming out for a rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarcoux

Reaction score
I started my first lager about 4 weeks ago. It's a light lager (Lawnmower Lager from AHB). The initial fermentation started of quickly for a day or so, then I brought it down to 50-55 degrees for the remainder of the 4 weeks. In the initial week, I peeked into the fridge and saw an occasional bubble, figured everything was running fine and never looked again.

Today, I am preparing it for the DR. I opened the fridge door and I'm letting the temperature rise. Here is where I can use some guidance.

1. Should I check for FG before or after the rest? I am going to assume that some leftover fermentation may occur as the temperature rises. It is in a bucket, so I don't want to remove that lid anymore than necessary.

2. While I have a fridge dedicated to lagering, the highest setting is 50 degrees. I cannot control it to maintain the 65-70 degrees for the DR. My room temperature is 74 degrees. What are the side affects of letting get up to 74 degrees? This fridge would not work well with a temperature controller, so that option is out.

I appreciate the input!

on my lagers i had the same temp control issues during the winter. basement was perfect for the fermentation but dr was the issue. I just placed it in the 70-74 degree corner of the kitchen as there were no real temp swings there and let the rest take place. mine all turned out fine. im not saying this is necssarily the "proper" thing to do, it worked for me and sometimes there are things we just cant control.

check the gravity first to be sure it is nearly done. let it come up to temp... a little too warm won't hurt so long as it's close to done. You won't ruin anything... Actually if you test the gravity first AND taste the sample, you'll know if the rest is even necessary. You are "looking" for any buttery taste. If there is none at all, don't bother with the rest. check the gravity and if it's done, it's done. if not, leave it at the proper temp till it is, then lager.

I started my first lager about 4 weeks ago. It's a light lager (Lawnmower Lager from AHB). The initial fermentation started of quickly for a day or so, then I brought it down to 50-55 degrees for the remainder of the 4 weeks. In the initial week, I peeked into the fridge and saw an occasional bubble, figured everything was running fine and never looked again.

Today, I am preparing it for the DR. I opened the fridge door and I'm letting the temperature rise. Here is where I can use some guidance.

1. Should I check for FG before or after the rest? I am going to assume that some leftover fermentation may occur as the temperature rises. It is in a bucket, so I don't want to remove that lid anymore than necessary.

2. While I have a fridge dedicated to lagering, the highest setting is 50 degrees. I cannot control it to maintain the 65-70 degrees for the DR. My room temperature is 74 degrees. What are the side affects of letting get up to 74 degrees? This fridge would not work well with a temperature controller, so that option is out.

I appreciate the input!

You should have been keeping a much closer eye on your beer. You want to do the d-rest when fermentation is 3/4 complete or so; usually around 1.020 or just under. Doing a d-rest once fermentation is complete (as it almost certainly now is) may be ineffective since your yeast are not active. For your next lager, watch for your krausen to start to drop and take a gravity reading soon thereafter. A bucket is actually ideal for ease of taking gravity readings. I do all my lagers in buckets for this reason.

74 should be okay for your d-rest. If you really care about proper temps you can make a simple swamp cooler to keep temps down a bit. Probably in this case you should either just taste your beer for diacetyl or do a "forced" diacetyl test. If you don't detect any, don't worry about the rest, since as noted above, it might not work now anyway.

Good luck!

does anybody know? can you cool down your wort with near freezing poland springs water??

you can. it's been done. it IS a significant infection hazard.

Please try to start a new thread when you have a new question rather than piggybacking on someone else's thread. And use the search function as much as possible ;)

check the gravity first to be sure it is nearly done. let it come up to temp... a little too warm won't hurt so long as it's close to done. You won't ruin anything... Actually if you test the gravity first AND taste the sample, you'll know if the rest is even necessary. You are "looking" for any buttery taste. If there is none at all, don't bother with the rest. check the gravity and if it's done, it's done. if not, leave it at the proper temp till it is, then lager.

exactly. you may not have to do a DR at all if there is no detectable diacetyl in the beer.

Back