First lager - bottle after diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rskelhorn

Reaction score
I was reading this link:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Lagering--Chapter-3-Advanced-Tips_ep_59-1.html

And they state:

" ...if you want to eventually have bottled lager, you're better off doing the bottling at the end of your diacetyl rest. That way, you can just pull out the bottles when you're ready to drink them, and you'll be pouring the clearest beer possible."

I've never noticed this direction before, because it is possible most don't mention it because they are kegging. Do you guys recommend I bottle before putting them in my temp. controlled freezer? Technically, I would be able to fit racks of beer in milk crates easier than carboys in the freezer....

I would, if your going to be lagering for months i would think most of the yeast would drop out and it would make carbing extremely difficult without adding more yeast.

I would, if your going to be lagering for months i would think most of the yeast would drop out and it would make carbing extremely difficult without adding more yeast.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here but are you suggesting I bottle after the primary/d-rest, then bottle condition/carbonate, - then - store for lagering for a long period of time?

I guess the part I'm a bit confused with is:

- I've read that batch lagering is best, and I have no issues with repitching yeast prior to bottling. The issue I guess I'm worried about is bringing the temp of the lager to room temp (to condition/carb) then when carbed, bringing temp down to drink and getting chill haze.

- Conversely, if I ferment in primary, have the d-rest, then bottle (condition/carb) then lager for a few months, can bring a couple bottles up to fridge temp and they should be crystal clear?

Lagering does many great things for beer, dropping out polyphenols (which are harsh) and giving that great crisp lager taste. One of the other things that happens is the beer clears brilliantly.

While you certainly can bottle after the diacetyl rest, carb up the bottles, then lager in the bottles, I would probably lager at least a little bit in the carboy first. That way, you have less sediment in the bottles in the end. You can lager for weeks and weeks and still have enough yeast to carb up the beer, so that's not a problem, but if you lager at least a bit before bottling you'll be bottling clear beer, without as much sediment in the bottle in the end.

Chill haze, once gone, won't reform. You can chill the carboy until the chill haze is gone, then bottle and you won't have it again.

Lagering does many great things for beer, dropping out polyphenols (which are harsh) and giving that great crisp lager taste. One of the other things that happens is the beer clears brilliantly.

While you certainly can bottle after the diacetyl rest, carb up the bottles, then lager in the bottles, I would probably lager at least a little bit in the carboy first. That way, you have less sediment in the bottles in the end. You can lager for weeks and weeks and still have enough yeast to carb up the beer, so that's not a problem, but if you lager at least a bit before bottling you'll be bottling clear beer, without as much sediment in the bottle in the end.

Chill haze, once gone, won't reform. You can chill the carboy until the chill haze is gone, then bottle and you won't have it again.

Wonderful, thank you Yooper, this makes perfect sense.

This is the second time you have helped me out, I think I should have you on speed dial lol.

Cheers

Back