First lager and yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitz146

Reaction score
Im making a starter for my first lager and was going to let it ferment out and decant. I will be pitching it into 50 F wort. Im not sure if I should let the starter come up to room temp and pitch or keep it around 50ish and pitch.

Keep it the same temperature. Yeast doesn't like temp changes.

So my question...I've read that even for lager it should be within 60-70 degrees in a starter. Is that right? And if so, do you chill it before pitching into the wort?

So my question...I've read that even for lager it should be within 60-70 degrees in a starter. Is that right? And if so, do you chill it before pitching into the wort?

Propagate your yeast at room temperature. Pitch at high krausen or allow the starter to ferment then crash chill, decant and pitch. Pitching temp can be at or anywhere under the temp of the wort.

Propagate your yeast at room temperature. Pitch at high krausen or allow the starter to ferment then crash chill, decant and pitch. Pitching temp can be at or anywhere under the temp of the wort.

Perfect, that's all I needed to know. Might wait til the middle of the week to start it and just pitch at high krausen.

+1 on having it near the temp of the wort.

Make the starter bigger than you would for an ale. Lagers deserve twice the ale pitch rates and well-aerated/oxygenated wort.

Latest posts

Back