First Kegging: Sound like a plan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Using my simple kegging setup for the first time. Finally racked from secondary last night. Since I want the beer for Superbowl Sunday, I'm a bit late for the "Set-and-Forget" method I had intended to use. After racking and purging, I set the gas to about 25 PSI. I'm planning to leave it there for two days before dropping the pressure to 12 PSI (being sure to bleed the excess pressure first), and then leave it there till next Sunday.
Does this sound good? Of course, I'll have to sample a time or two, you know, to make sure it's going well. ;)

Chris

That should be fine. With 9 days until Superbowl Sunday, however, you ought to be able to get away the the set and forget no problem. Either way should work. Good luck!

I would recommend kicking it up like you say, dropping it down to 12 or so, bleed it down, check the next day, and if its not carbed enough, giving it another 12-24 hours of high pressure. It's not that difficult to drop it back down if you go over a little, just bleed it every 12 hours or so as the excess comes out.

Didn't see you mention it- but I would definitely chill it to help the beer absorb CO2 into suspension, and crash any sediment. Pull a pint or two before company comes so you amaze them with your extra tasty and crystal clear homebrew! Hope it goes great!

Didn't see you mention it- but I would definitely chill it to help the beer absorb CO2 into suspension, and crash any sediment. Pull a pint or two before company comes so you amaze them with your extra tasty and crystal clear homebrew! Hope it goes great!

Definitely get it chilled!

If it isn't quite as carbed as you want by the big day, shake the crap out of it with the gas hooked up for a few minutes. You can do this to begin with if you want, but it's tough on your arms after a while :p .

Oh yeah, it's cold. Currently in the fridge/soon to be kegerator at about 35 degrees. Been lagering at the same temps for about 4 weeks too.
I'll check it a day after dropping the pressure and see where it's at.
Thanks y'all

Chris

Back