First kegged beer tastes... interesting. Creamy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, I'd like to say that this has been our most technically perfect beer we've made to date, in terms of our brewing process. We nailed all our temperatures, filtered well, pitched rehydrated, the works. All of our beers since we started all grain have been killer, this should have been the same.

This is the recipe: https://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/ace_all_grain.pdf

The beer is... creamy tasting, as best as I can describe it. It hasn't carbed all the way yet, and we assume the flavor will be mitigated a little bit by it carbing, but it's completely unlike any beer I've ever had. Creamy like cream soda.

We just bought the kegging setup and cleaned / sanitized everything, including the inside of the keg. We used starsan and had very very very little foam left in the keg when we kegged.

Can you give some more details on your kegging setup?

What is your beer line width, line length, PSI and temperature?

I had incorrect liquid lines on my kegerator at first. 5/16' where it should have been 3/16'. Several people described the "carbonated" beer as creamy. It was just... not right.

"Creamy" may be due to ingredients (the large amount of wheat), but it is also a sign of diacetyl. In small amounts, diacetyl presents as a slick or creamy mouthfeel, which can feel oily on the teeth or tongue. In large amounts, it's oily and in even larger amounts it tastes like butter or butterscotch.

You'll know in a few days, once it's carbed up and if it seems to be more slick and oily than "rich" feeling.

Back