First kegerator build - parts questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
Realized my other thread was in the wrong place so here we go for the second time.

I have up to $700 to spend on building a two keg kegerator system. I can spend a bit on either side of that but under $700 is my goal. I'm choosing a two keg kegerator as opposed to a keezer or more kegs because I'm a college kid in a small apartment, and I move most years - I need something portable (although the idea of getting a chest freezer and being able to lager is ridiculously tempting).

My plan is to get this minifridge - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2MB4AC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - and that's where my concrete plans end.

I've been looking at this kit from AIH - http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegging-...y-Manifold-Dual-Tap-Tower-no-kegs_p_4503.html

I'm unsure if that has everything I need though. I know the basic things I need - like I need a fridge, two kegs, CO2 tank, tower, taps. Where I'm lost is the details - how much line, what are all the connections, what are shanks, what taps do I buy.

So, if I bought that fridge, that kit, and two 5 gallon ball lock kegs, what else would I need? I know I need a CO2 tank. Are there any other fittings or things I'm going to need to pick up? I know some people use a copper tubing to insulate their lines, I'll probably use something similar. I see a lot of people putting temperature controllers in their fridge - why is this necessary?

What do people use a fan for? I see it in a lot of builds and I'm not entirely sure why. I figure it's for air circulation, but where do you mount it and what specifically does it do?

Finally, what tools do I need to do this? I know I need a dremel for the door and a drill to get through the top of the fridge. I don't own either - I'm planning on borrowing a drill from my roommate and purchasing a dremel. Honestly the actual building is what I'm struggling the most with this.

Am I missing anything major? Any tips for a guy who's not great with DIY but wants to do this anyways? Thanks yall

Last edited by a moderator:
You're pretty good on the list so far, I have a similar setup with a dual tap tower and a mini fridge.

Just be VERY careful drilling thru the top for that tower. Some brands have the coils on the top without specifying. I've read more then a few build threads here of people going straight thru with a bore piece and ruining the fridge. Problem is most of them are made by the same company and then rebranded. Look up on google with the model number and hopefully u can find some diagrams for the coils inside. If they are on the sides, you're set. If theyre on top, its gonna be much trickier.

If you can't find out where they are, i'd suggest drilling JUST thru the plastic on top, until u break thru to the insulation and then using a dremel to carve out a piece about the size of a half dollar. Take a screw driver to the insulation and break it up and see if you find any coils.

Otherwise I'd recommend buying one of those brackets to mount the CO2 tank on the back of the fridge. It'll be extremely tight if try to keep it inside. And for a fan, you're not gonna need one in mini fridge, but I'd recommend one of those walk in cooler thermometers. I bought one for like $7 and just put it on top of one of the kegs to get an idea of the temp inside.

Yeah, drilling through the top of the fridge is worrying. It sounds like I have to take the top off to reinforce the top of the fridge anyways, right? When I do that maybe I'll be able to double check for coils.

Did you just drill a hole through the back or something for the tank?

Yeah, drilling through the top of the fridge is worrying. It sounds like I have to take the top off to reinforce the top of the fridge anyways, right? When I do that maybe I'll be able to double check for coils.

Did you just drill a hole through the back or something for the tank?

Yes, but I lucked out, a friend was getting rid of an old kegerator so he let me rip out the silcon/rubber gasket that the CO lines go thru as they enter the kegerator. I'm not sure where you'd find one but its a tight squeeze so as to keep the cold air from leaving. Maybe a homebrew shop that sells kegerators would have one for ya.

As far as reinforcing, I didn't need to. It had enough on the top for the screws to grip into that it wasn't a worry.

Back