First keg nightmare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
So I just kegged my first batch and for some reason the carboy cap siphon would not hold. No matter what I did I couldn't keep the beer flowing. I eventually had to drain the beer out of the carboy into a bottling bucket and then into the keg. I think the hose got turned some way in the keg not allowing the siphon action to work properly.
Anyways, should I be worried about oxidation from all the blowing into the beer I did? And the extra time it spent exposed to air? Also how bad will the beer be if it did get oxidized. Dammit I hate panicking like this but I'm worried because this is a beer for a friends house warming party April 5th and everything else went fine the whole time.

I started force carbing immediately to try and remove as much O2 as possible and now its sitting in my basement hooked up to the CO2 tank at 30 psi.

Thanks
Mike

Also, with starsan, should I really "never fear the foam" or is there a limit to how much foam is okay. There was some in the keg while I was filling it up.

RDWHAHB. Just purge your keg with CO2. It probably will be fine. Don't fear the foam too. It's good stuff. I rack on it all the time.

Now go out and get yourself an Auto Siphon and use some silicone hose with it. Life will be good after you do so.

i wouldnt worry about it. looks like you've brewed a couple of beers in your time. I'm positive whatever you make is going to be good. Maybe not perfect. But it sounds like you're going to be fine. I've had this happen before to me too. However, it should be fine. Oh yeah, dont fear the foam! : ) for real!

cool, thanks guys.:mug:

I'm always impressed with how fast people reply on this site. And I always get the same response: RDWHAHB. Its awesome.:)

i guess it is really really hard to F up some beer.

Schwind said:
i guess it is really really hard to F up some beer.

Acutally it is pretty easy to, if one's not paying attention or is enjoying too much in the process. I try not to have one till flame out.

Latest posts

Back