First Keg Day! It's Spraying everywhere!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

So excited! Kegging for the first time, today, and in my new keezer I built, to boot.
I have 3 beers (wit, English, Vienna lager) and 1 keg of water.

When I pushed the pressure point in on the liquid nodule (my pin locks don't have a separate vent), water sprayed straight up in the air (glad I tried the water before beer!). How do I vent the co2 in my beer kegs, to remove air/o2 without beer shooting up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Water Keg.jpg
    Water Keg.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107

day_trippr

Structural Duct Tape Applications Engineer
Reaction score
If you're trying to purge the head space with CO2 about all you can do is leave the lid unlocked and askew enough to open an exhaust path and blast away for a few seconds before latching the lid down. Otoh, if you're trying to release head pressure, use the gas post...

Cheers!

OP
OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you're trying to purge the head space with CO2 about all you can do is leave the lid unlocked and askew enough to open an exhaust path and blast away for a few seconds before latching the lid down. Otoh, if you're trying to release head pressure, use the gas post...

Cheers!
Thanks, day trippr! I'll give that a go :)

jschein

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Cheers!

Great advice, also get a lid with a prv

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's in my near future, jschein. Cheers!
I've been saying that for years. I have had a lid w/prv in my wishlist for at minum 2.5yrs. Still haven't broke down and done it. I have mfl fittings and fill/carb kegs from the beer side. I use the gas post to vent.

The lid is only $25-30 but I keep finding better places to spend my $$

don_bran321

Reaction score
I have 1 pin lock keg with a relief valve. I purge the whole thing with c02 then take off the gas connector and push down on the poppet to release any oxygen. Keep doing that till I'm content with having just c02.
Continue your process as usual

OP
OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 1 pin lock keg with a relief valve. I purge the whole thing with c02 then take off the gas connector and push down on the poppet to release any oxygen. Keep doing that till I'm content with having just c02.
Continue your process as usual

Cheers, don_bran321!