First keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am building my first keezer and have question for those who have done this. I am using a small Kenmore chest freezer and a one tap tower. My question is, when other keezers have been built, did you enclose all four sides or just three? I am planning on just building a cabinet around three sides since the back will be against the wall and I'm not going to have a collar. Any feedback or suggestions is welcomed.

Three sides is all you need unless its going to be in the middle of the room where people will see the back.

Im on my second build and three sides equals less wood, less work and you can still remove and replace the freezer easily if needed.

Hi

If you enclose the sides, you need to have fans to keep the walls cool. Why enclose the sides at all?

Bob

Hi

If you enclose the sides, you need to have fans to keep the walls cool. Why enclose the sides at all?

Bob

So it looks much, much better than a freezer in the middle of a nice living space. There are definitely points for style when in the correct environment.

I do not use fans to cool down the sides without any adverse effects. The first one I built the freezer was around twenty years old and still going strong. The framing creates vertical gaps around the sides which provide air circulation up from the bottom and out the top.

image-3454084406.jpg

The progress after a couple hours build time

Hi

Modern freezers are built pretty "economically" (dare I say cheaply?). There's often not as much margin in the design as one might wish for. I'd get a couple of computer fans and blow some air out from inside the frame. You probably will want some inside the freezer as well.

Bob

Hi

If you decide to go with fans, Newegg is a pretty good place to shop. Go for the low airflow, low rpm, quiet ones rather than the hurricane level guys. Something under 25 dba is about as high as I would go, 20 dab is better. You do *not* want to notice the fan noise and they will run 24/7...

Bob

Back