First IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trksh

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm new to brewing (done a couple extract kits) and wanted to get some input on my first ipa recipe. I have a dipa extract kit going in my 5 gallon carboy, but I have a mr beer keg sitting around that I'm wanting to do something with in the meantime. The batch will be ~2.2 gallons. any advice/recommendations?

4lb light LME
8oz crystal 20L

HOPS (pellets):

.5 oz amarillo - 20min
.75oz simcoe - 20 min
.5oz amarillo - 5min
.5oz simcoe - 5min
.5oz amarillo - dry hop
.75 oz simcoe - dry hop

safale us-05 yeast

og - 1.073 ; fg - 1.020 (abv 7.1)
IBU - 75

Thanks!

I did a small batch, late hop only IIPA (1.075og, 75 IBU's) and found it to be underhopped at 75 ibu's and not bitter enough at all. I know you're supposed to get some bitterness from late hop additions but my batch didn't taste like it got enough and I wished I had done at least a small 60min addition, maybe .25oz or so. Maybe move .25oz of your simcoe from 20 to 60min?
Also I'd either cut the Crystal in half, or add about 6-8oz corn sugar (maybe both) to dry it out a little, unless you want it more on the sweet side. To me, too much maltiness takes away from the hops. Depends on your personal taste though.
Good luck!

Back