First IPA Recipe...Look Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Hows it look? I think I did a decent job choosing hops, any idea what I would be looking forward to?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 8.9 %
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2 35.6 %
6 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 3 53.3 %
4.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 2.2 %
1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 38.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 27.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 6.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 90.4 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 8.8 SRM

Looks pretty good to me! I generally don't add sugar to any of my recipes, so I would probably take that out if it were me, but I know some people like to go for a really dry profile and that's why they add sugar.

As far as your hops, I too think the Cascade/Centennial combo is mighty tasty. I'm not sure how much of a difference you would see if you just want with all Columbus or all Chinook at the beginning - you'll be hard pressed to taste much from your bittering hops anyways. I'd also take a hard look at that 30 min. addition. Most people these days are moving all of their hop additions for IPAs into the 20 min. or less time frame. Those 30 min. additions tend to be a sort of netherworld, where you aren't getting a lot of flavor/aroma out of them, nor are you really getting efficient bittering out of them. Generally, I would suggest that you load up on bittering at the beginning, and then wait to do your flavor and aroma additions all inside 20 minutes, with a healthy dose right at knockout.

Oh, and, if you can, you might consider doing an ounce each of Cascade and Centennial for your dry hop, to bring out the aroma in both of your flavor hop varieties. But if you're really partial to the Cascade aroma (and I couldn't blame you if you were) then I can see why you would just use that.

Just some food for thought - I think that this would be a great recipe as is too!

I like IPA's but I can't see spending over $20 per 5 gallon batch on hops alone.

Unless there is some other way to buy hops other than vacuum sealed in 1 oz packages for about $2.00 per oz? I'd love to use more hops but they cost more than the grain for each batch!

I wouldn't put so many hops at 60 min. It'll be way bitter as is. I'd personally just keep the Chinook for bittering, and move the Columbus to later in the boil. Or just drop it entirely. But that's just me - I like my IPAs to have a lot of hop flavor, but less bitterness.

I wouldn't put so many hops at 60 min. It'll be way bitter as is. I'd personally just keep the Chinook for bittering, and move the Columbus to later in the boil. Or just drop it entirely. But that's just me - I like my IPAs to have a lot of hop flavor, but less bitterness.

Exactly what I was thinking! Too many hops at 60 minutes and 30 minutes.

Use the chinook OR the columbus, not both, at 60 minutes. And take out the 30 minute hops and move them later in the boil. I'd do this:

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20 min
1.00 oz Chinook Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
.50 oz chinook 5 minutes
1.00 oz Cascade Boil 0 min (flame out)

2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

I agree with the suggestions above about the hops. The 1.5 chinook looks like plenty at 60 min then I'd do a combo of the other three C's all at 15 to 0 (plus dry hop). I don't have a problem with the corn sugar, I use it in big IPA's when I'm going for the dryness.

EDIT - too late! Yooper makes my post kinda unnecessary ;)

Thank you for all of your help on this...I've dumped the sugar and modified hte hop times according to your recommendations.

I plan on using safale us-05 yeast. I have two packets, the package states to simply sprinkle on top...not to do a rehyrdation as others sometimes do. Should I use one packet or two? Rehyrdtate or no? Estimated OG is 1.079

Thank you for all of your help on this...I've dumped the sugar and modified hte hop times according to your recommendations.

I plan on using safale us-05 yeast. I have two packets, the package states to simply sprinkle on top...not to do a rehyrdation as others sometimes do. Should I use one packet or two? Rehyrdtate or no? Estimated OG is 1.079

At 1.079, you probably need a packet and a half. So two would be fine, just sprinkled on.

Now that you've said you've dumped the corn sugar, is now the time to mention that not only did I think it would be good, but I thought of increasing it? :D

Seriously! I'd consider exchanging one pound of the DME for one pound of corn sugar. The reason is that malt can be a bit "thick" in an IIPA, and a pound of corn sugar lightens up the body and allows the hops to shine.

I use one pound of corn sugar in my Pliny clone and my Belgian triple.

Back