First IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 264271

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am new to designing recipes, and I want to try to create an American IPA.

This is what I've got so far:

upload_2019-4-13_10-25-7.png

I am shooting for 13L and the number this yields looks like this:

upload_2019-4-13_10-25-45.png

What do you think?
What would you change?

Thanks!

The only American thing in that IPA is the cascade...but maybe it's got the thing you look for. Generally, for an american ipa i personally would take out the brown sugar, keep the Crystal low and use more new world hops and a suitable yeast.

The only American thing in that IPA is the cascade...but maybe it's got the thing you look for. Generally, for an american ipa i personally would take out the brown sugar, keep the Crystal low and use more new world hops and a suitable yeast.

OK, then let's take the term "american" out of the recipe name.
Does this sill qualify as an IPA?

Sure, but it seems a bit wasted to use the flavourfull cascade as bittering hop here. A suggestion would be to find some other bittering hop and use the cascade later in boil.

With these ingredients it's more a mix of English and American IPA, but nothing wrong with that... I just don't know how the hops play along together.

Hi @schmurf, thanks for the helping hand.
Following your recommendations I made some changes.
What do you think about the recipe now?

upload_2019-4-14_0-37-4.png

Back to your original recipe, it looks solid for an English IPA - big, malty flavours with a dry finish and strong bitterness (far better IMO than the second recipe). Do you like English IPA?

In that case, the original recipe looks really good.
Changes that I would personally make would be: Replace the bittering hop with either a clean hop, or Goldings. Increase the dry hop to 25g. Replace the dark brown sugar with Lyles Golden Syrup (or make some #1 invert syrup with raw/turbinado sugar). Replace the yeast with WLP007 (I'm not a big fan of S04). They are all personal preferences though.

Edit: I just realised it's a 13L batch. Leave the dry hop at 15g.

The sugar, or if you go with the syrup suggested, will perhaps dry it out too much if you like it a bit sweet. Invert sugar or syrup is quite common in English IPA or bitters though.
If you want to keep the cascade I suggest putting them in at the end of boil, and just a small amount, if it's going to be an English IPA.

Are you sure about the numbers btw? I usually brew 11 liter to the fermentor and they all seem a bit high to me.

Back