First infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShakerD

Reaction score
Is this my first infection?

Brown ale brewed sept 11. I usually keg it after 30 days.

It looks like small clumps of little bubbles. There is a creamy haze around the outer edge.

I recently bumped the temp to 70f. Yeast is wyeast 1272.

Cheers

image-718779267.jpg

image-2596904565.jpg

image-2986397305.jpg

image-2897611573.jpg

MalFet said:
Those pictures are impossible to see, but it just looks like krausen and yeast rafts from here.

+1
Turn on a light for the love of god.

Those look like yeast rafts, if you get a film over the entire surface like a glaze looking skin.. than you got an infection hard to tell by pics, but that would give it a sour taste.

Yeah sorry about the bad pics. The glass is green and it's really hard to take picks through it.

I am mostly worried about the creamy haze around the outer edge. It looks to be 1.5 inches and I think it's growing. Of course you can't see that in the pictures.

I am going to cold crash and keg.

Cheers

If its an infection then you would taste it for sure. If it taste fine then it is not an infection.

If the rest of the bubbles look like the box that the arrow is pointing to then you are fine. It is hard to make out the rest.
test-1.png

MORE BAD PICTURES!!!

Sorry guys I had both garage doors open, all the lights on and a flashlight in hand.

It's waxy/creamy white and it's in chunks. It grew 1/2 inch last night and is about 2 inches today. Is it Lacto?

Cheers

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

I am pretty sure it was the start of Lactobacillus. It was still small so I kegged it. Not that you really have to worry because Lactobacillus is actually good for you but I didn't want to wreck the taste of the beer. I tried not to be cheap and only pulled out a keg and a half.

It actually tastes excellent.

I never had this happen to any of my brews. Is that caused by dirty kegs/equipment? Maybe the sanitizer didn't kill all of the bad bactieria?

RandomBeerGuy said:
I never had this happen to any of my brews. Is that caused by dirty kegs/equipment? Maybe the sanitizer didn't kill all of the bad bactieria?

Yeah I know it's weird. This is my 36th all grain batch and the first time something like this happened.

The ironic part is I just bought a new paddle and auto syphon for this batch.

The only other thing that I did different was systematically raise the temp in my fermentation chamber to 72 as suggested by John Palmer in one of the last brew strong editions I listened to. I don't think this was the cause but I think the warmer final temp gave the ideal opportunity for the lacto to grow.

Btw this beer turned out perfect. Either I caught it in time or nothing was wrong.

image-3010254236.jpg

Back