FIRST INFECTION CONFIRMED! I think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So after posting a suspicion thread a few days ago i believe i do have an infection. There is one little speck of milky white stuff floating in the middle but it has not spread. So i was feeling hopeful as I tasted it after 4 weeks of lagering there was this awful sour taste that almost made me gag. Any hope its just my untrained taste buds tasting uncarbed beer?

Did you have any pics by chance? Sour after 4 weeks sounds like infected to me but I am curious about this "white spot". Is this your first brew, referring to your comment about not having tasted uncarbed beer.

No I'm stll noob but it is my fifth brew. I posted a pic on a previous thread. Ill see if I can find it again.

I wouldn't go by any floaties you see in the beer, but if you taste a sample and it makes you instantly gag, that's usually not a good sign. I've brewed plenty of beers, and even even ones that sucked didn't trigger a gag reflex. But the few infected batches I had, yeah, it only took a sip to realize something wasn't right.

marubozo said:
I wouldn't go by any floaties you see in the beer, but if you taste a sample and it makes you instantly gag, that's usually not a good sign. I've brewed plenty of beers, and even even ones that sucked didn't trigger a gag reflex. But the few infected batches I had, yeah, it only took a sip to realize something wasn't right.

Odd. Even your uninfected beers make most people gag...

Back