First infected beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eaglesbrewer44

Reaction score
I’m on a run of not having an infected beer for over 10 years. I brewed for the first time on my new herms setup and found this when I went to keg my beer today. I did dry hop the beer, but think the beer is in the beginning of infection. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• F06FF0D4-06FA-4996-9678-A58EAAC3C02E.jpeg
    F06FF0D4-06FA-4996-9678-A58EAAC3C02E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96
Have you reached final gravity?

And is the junk just on top (suck that you can rack from under it) or is there residue all throughout? -If the latter, I would consider cold crashing to try to get it to clear up.

Just continue as normal and determine what it's actual FG becomes. The times I've had infection in my bottles, then SG of them went down to 1.001 from a FG of 1.010.

So a much lower FG than what was predicted might and I'll say it again might... indicate infection.

But so far your pic just looks like hop residue that got caught on yeast rafts or something. Maybe give it a gentle swirl after you put the lid back on.

Just continue as normal and determine what it's actual FG becomes. The times I've had infection in my bottles, then SG of them went down to 1.001 from a FG of 1.010.

So a much lower FG than what was predicted might and I'll say it again might... indicate infection.

But so far your pic just looks like hop residue that got caught on yeast rafts or something.

Thanks for the replies. I think it’s hops residue as you guys pointed out. I really dry hopped it this time. This is something I don’t typically do much if.

Anway, I’ll get that FG tonight. Thanks again.

If it smells fruity like you stated, I wouldn't worry. I've had one that literally could ignite nose hairs but it still turned out tasty. Good luck & cheers

It smells like a nice, fruity hoppy beer. The white specks are throwing me off. It’s been almost 4 weeks. I’m not sure what to do.
You got 10 years of experience and you’re not sure what to do??? I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge. I’m brand new. 3 extract kits and building my system. I’m a know-nothing and you’re scaring me. :)

You got 10 years of experience and you’re not sure what to do??? I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge. I’m brand new. 3 extract kits and building my system. I’m a know-nothing and you’re scaring me. :)
I’ve actually been brewing since college, so that’s close to 25 years, but I’m still learning.

I’ll point out I’m color blind. I noticed this brew has more of a “white” hue in the top. Just looked odd to me. I still think it’s fermenting. I still have not reached fg.

If it is infected don't panic. I have had infected beers that turned out delicious, but you have to embrace the funk. A buddy brought an infected keg of porter to a party once, I put it back in secondary and watched it grow huge gray/green bubbles in the headspace of the carboy. After a couple of months it was sublime. Same with a pumpkin beer a probrewer friend had wanted to serve at her brewpub. It was obviously infected so she gave me 10 gallons of it-it was one of my most popular offerings from my kegerator.

I’m on a run of not having an infected beer for over 10 years. I brewed for the first time on my new herms setup and found this when I went to keg my beer today. I did dry hop the beer, but think the beer is in the beginning of infection. Am I wrong?
Hop residue, leftover kräusen plus some additional co2 from hop creep induced fermentation which creates the bubbles. No infection, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back