First hopslam experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I decided to pick up a six pack of Hopslam this afternoon. I had seen it on the menu at a local restaurant we frequent, but they were always sold out. Most expensive six pack I've purchased $18. But I have to say, it has surprised me. So much flavor and aroma. I'm also pretty lit from the 10% alcohol.

This is definitely something unique. I told SWMBO, I've never had a beer like this before. So floral, so much nose, and that slightly heavy body from just a touch of honey somewhere in there.

I was going to do a kolsch next, but I might try a clone of this as I saw there were threads with some ideas.

Anyone else care to chime in on Hopslam. It is definitely an interesting, and IMO quite worthy brew.

There is a clone thread on here somewhere, a quick search will probably find it, but I'd have to agree, Hopslam is Great. I had it for the first time about 3 weeks ago, Damn! yummy!

Check similar threads at the bottom of the page. I see 3 there right now about the same thing. I do agree, it is a damn fine beer.

I tried it a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it, but still am not sure why it is soo exclusive/expensive.

I was skeptical at first; I generally do not like double beers, or Imperial yada yada... I think that more often than not they are unbalanced. But this was really good. Very balanced, I was surprised it was 10%. No syrupy-ness about it. Very clean and tasty.

I would give a clone a try too, but I am not anywhere near trying to fabricate a recipe.

Luck. and share your findings.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hopslam-clone-137117/

9 pages of good info for a hopslam clone. The letter from Bells is especially helpful. Good luck and happy brewing.:mug:

Btw, it costs more to make imperial beers so that is one reason why they cost more (especially if they also have huge hop bills and/or need extended aging). Not defending the price but I buy it every year like a lot of people so I guess it's worth it to us.

Hopslam is one of my favorites, any of those combinations of recipes listed will get you in the ballpark if it's not an exact recipe, I'm about to do a second version of it here soon.

Hopslam is another reason Bells is awesome. Its hoppy but fruity and juicy. Only had it once but it was a treat.

I've heard a few people mention they think the hops are a little less pronounced this year. I wonder if there has been a change in equipment since the expansion. I emailed and the response said they haven't changed the recipe.

I've heard a few people mention they think the hops are a little less pronounced this year. I wonder if there has been a change in equipment since the expansion. I emailed and the response said they haven't changed the recipe.

I'm trying it for my first time, and honestly I would hope something is amiss with this year's. The hops don't pack much of a punch at all in comparison to the sweetness (from the honey I'm guessing) and the alcohol bite. It did get a lot better after letting it warm up and breathe a bit in the glass.

I'm trying it for my first time, and honestly I would hope something is amiss with this year's. The hops don't pack much of a punch at all in comparison to the sweetness (from the honey I'm guessing) and the alcohol bite. It did get a lot better after letting it warm up and breathe a bit in the glass.

To be perfectly honest, Hopslam has always been a bit sweeter and usually pretty smooth compared to a lot of other IIPAs. I didn't perceive the alcohol any stronger than any previous batches, myself. For 10% I think it's very mild.

What I think sets this beer apart is the comparably low amount of bitterness to the massive hop flavor and aroma, which I'm not noticing as much of this year. It was a bit better after letting it warm up a bit, but I never had an issue in previous years.

Gave it a second try tonight, and wow, infinitely better. Still a little sweet for what I was expecting out of a IIPA, but by gosh, the aftertaste is divine. I don't know what I was tasting last night that seemed sharp, it may have been from the fact that I hadn't had a beer for the past two weeks. Definitely gonna have to pace myself on these last four bottles.

Back