First homebrew problems. Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWV

Reaction score
So I started my first batch of homebrew, I followed the instructions to a T. I put the yeast in. Its been over 24 hours from when I put wort in the fermentation bucket an I have no bubbles coming out of the airlock. What can I do to get it fermenting and save the batch? What could I have done wrong? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Oh I see. Thanks. I used dry yeast, it was in that kit I bought. Should I try and use liquid yeast? Does it work better?

And remember, airlock activity is NOT the visible sign referred to. fterall that really is what an airlock is for. It's a valve to keep beer off your ceiling. If it's not bubbling, it doesn't really need to, it hasn't generate an excess amount of co2 to make it go blip. Or it is getting out elsewhere, like around the seal of the bung. But either way, as you can clearly see, airlock bubbling, though nice to watch is really irreverent to the brewing process. Some airlocks bubble, some don't. Some don't bubble for awhile, then start (but that doesn;t mean fermentation hadn't already started) some start and stop (and that doesn't mean that fermentation has ceased. Some bubble fast, some bubble slow....

It's just bubbles.....I have 9 different fermenters, and half of my beers I never notice airlock activity in them....and I've never not had a beer turn out just fine.

I agree, never rely on your airlock to decide whether or not your wort is fermenting. Take a hydrometer reading instead.

Good to know. I just got done with my first batch of beer and everything turned out great. I'm starting another batch this week. Thanks for the good info, makes me feel better about going through the process and what to expect and what not to expect.

Back