First homebrew observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginCO

Reaction score
About three weeks ago, I bottled my first homebrew; an extract based amber ale.

After one week, I put a bottle in the fridge over night to see how the carbonation was progressing. As expected, it was pretty flat. It also tasted a bit watery.

After two weeks, I did the same. There was much more carbonation, and it was less watery.

After three weeks, there was again more carbonated. I would guess its fully carbed now. But there was much more flavor to the beer. No watery taste.

But the biggest thing to surprise me...all three beers had very little head. But tonight I drank a 2 week beer after being in the fridge for the whole week. It had a good 1-1.5 in head on it. I didn't expect this... Other than that, it tasted about the same as the last two week beer.

Have others seen the same regarding several days in the fridge leading to more head?

How did you prime it? If you added sugar to each bottle it could be that you got a little more in that bottle, thus leading to more carbonation and more head. Or it could be that if you bulk mixed it you didn't get it mixed up enough and the same thing resulted. Not sure if this is the case, but it sounds like it could be.

I boiled the sugar with a few cups of water, poured it in bottling bucket. Then siphoned the beer on top. I didn't stir it any more than the mixing of the incoming beer.

Back