First Homebrew Competition Scores In!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannedry

Reaction score
Made a mocha stout, ringing in at 6.0%, black as night, dark brown head, hopped to about 30 ibu, and chuck full of chocolate and kona coffee.

This scored a 33.5, and is my first ever homebrew competition entry, where there were 220 entries in total. Had to enter into 21A with the chocolate/coffee addition. Ive been brewing for 2 years, all grain for 1 year.

Not quite sure what to make of this... discouraged, okay, happy, or excited???

Thoughts?

Thanks! :mug:

Read over what the judges wrote and their recommendations for improving the beer. If there was an off-flavor noted or a way to improve on the beer than keep that in mind the next time you brew it.

A 33.5 is a good score and nothing to be discouraged about. A beer with a score like that generally only needs some minor tweaking to take it to the next level.

I am happy with anything in the 30's or higher. I believe that score is in the Very Good range, right?

Yeah, smack dab in the middle of the "very good" range. I didn't have high expectations going into it, just didn't want to get crucified on my feedback. Then as time went on... my expectations got the best of me, and I was on the verge of throwing all of our wedding photos off the mantle, into the trash, making way for the gigantic trophy I was going to win!!! Hahaha

I haven't picked up my judging sheets yet, I just saw they posted a gigantic spreadsheet with everybody's scores.

Thanks! :mug:

first time i entered i got a 21, and i was disapointed to say the least.
This year, same beer, and i got a 32. I'm happy with that. I have some small tweaks to make, as long as i get a 35+ next year i'll be happy.
In addition, i'm going to start entering some other competitions, to get a much better view of my overall brewing.

Our firstcomp, we got a 39 on our pale, 30 on our Hefe and a 34 on an Imperial Stout. Not too shabby. Was nice to have feedback from a national judge on the stout.

Have some of the same beers and a couple new ones entered into two other comps, should get feedback this weekend and next.

Our firstcomp, we got a 39 on our pale, 30 on our Hefe and a 34 on an Imperial Stout. Not too shabby. Was nice to have feedback from a national judge on the stout.

Have some of the same beers and a couple new ones entered into two other comps, should get feedback this weekend and next.

Wow, congrats! I can't wait for the next competition... I have a double ipa coming into its prime in the next week or two... just in time for another competition in Ann Arbor.

:mug:

Back