First homebrew 1/11 paranoia setting in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I've been watching stupid youtube videos on homebrewing, to get some pointer's. I've also researched a lot on this site, and I think im ready. Two question's- A lot of people start with 2 to 2.5 gallons of water for steeping, my kit (northern brewer-nut brown ale) calls for only 1.5 gallons, is this ok? My instructions say "general" extract beer kit instructions, so that worries me. Last question- Watched a guy who appeared to know what he was doing say to only put in half of the LME, then put in the rest with 15 minutes left in boil, is this advisable? I only have one hop addition @ 60 minutes if this matters. Wish me luck!

Follow the recipe when it comes to steeping. As to the late addition of 1/2 of the malt, that is VERY advisable, if you can not boil a full 5+ gallons of wort... it will help improve hop utilization, and help reduce caramelization. Just REMEMBER... turn off the heat while adding your malt, and do not turn it back on until you are sure that it is fully dissolved.

rabidgerbil said:
Follow the recipe when it comes to steeping. As to the late addition of 1/2 of the malt, that is VERY advisable, if you can not boil a full 5+ gallons of wort... it will help improve hop utilization, and help reduce caramelization. Just REMEMBER... turn off the heat while adding your malt, and do not turn it back on until you are sure that it is fully dissolved.
So I would take off heat with 15 minutes left, add the rest of the extract, get it back to boil, then start timing the last 15 minutes?

I'd just follow the instructions for the first kit, it'll be find.

The technique with splitting the LME is known as a late extract addtion. You can try it if you want.

This thread discusses the logic behind late extract addtions as well as some ways to go about it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26151

More related threads
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=late+extract+addition+site%3Awww.homebrewtalk.com&btnG=Search[/ame]

wildwest450 said:
So I would take off heat with 15 minutes left, add the rest of the extract, get it back to boil, then start timing the last 15 minutes?

Yes, that is correct. Watch out for boilovers.

But most importantly, read How To Brew...it will change your life forever.

I just put my hop pellet's in water after bringing the water back to boil and, nothing, a little bubbling no boilover, it barley moved the water a half inch. Is there anything to worry about? Im using the stove for the first batch and it does get the water boiling, but I wouldn't say a rolling boil.

wildwest450 said:
I just put my hop pellet's in water after bringing the water back to boil and, nothing, a little bubbling no boilover, it barley moved the water a half inch. Is there anything to worry about? Im using the stove for the first batch and it does get the water boiling, but I wouldn't say a rolling boil.

Mine is the same way... it boils, but it is not the most aggressive boil...
but people seem to like my beer, so I must be doing something right...

like the man says...
RDWHAHB:drunk:

rabidgerbil said:
Mine is the same way... it boils, but it is not the most aggressive boil...
but people seem to like my beer, so I must be doing something right...

like the man says...
RDWHAHB:drunk:
Thank's so much, im just paranoid. As for the homebrew, i'll have to wait a few more week's, this is my first batch.:rockin:

wildwest450 said:

You have some extract, too, right? Not just water?

wildwest450 said:
Thank's so much, im just paranoid. As for the homebrew, i'll have to wait a few more week's, this is my first batch.:rockin:

That's ok...
6:42 am is too early for a beer anyway...
well... for me it is anyway.

YooperBrew said:
You have some extract, too, right? Not just water?
Yes sir I do have LME, I opted to do half first, then half at the end of the boil, hope it works out.

wildwest450 said:
Yes sir I do have LME, I opted to do half first, then half at the end of the boil, hope it works out.

Good- I figured you know that, but I wanted to check.

You don't have to call me sir, or ma'am.

Your Highness will do just fine, thank you!

Incidently, I posted the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe, and someone admitted they thought I was some middle aged guy named Joe. I still laugh at that one!

YooperBrew said:
Your Highness will do just fine, thank you!

And if you want brownie points you can do it on your knees like the rest of us do. ;)

Well it's a done deal! Og of 1.045(with temp correction) kit said 1.044. It was fun, I think i'll do it again;) . The only thing I didn't like was the directions said to start with 1.5 gallons, there's not much water left in a 5 gallon pot when you're finished. Would it be ok next time to use more water? I would like to get a bigger pot and a burner and do a full batch, is there any benefit to this? Do you have to adjust your recipe any? Would a 36 or 40 quart pot be big enough? I know, I ask a lot of questions, I am the squeaky wheel that must be greased.

wildwest450 said:
I know, I ask a lot of questions, I am the squeaky wheel that must be greased.

Don't worry, a few of your first homebrews will grease that wheel right up! :drunk:

wildwest450 said:
Well it's a done deal! Og of 1.045(with temp correction) kit said 1.044. It was fun, I think i'll do it again;) . The only thing I didn't like was the directions said to start with 1.5 gallons, there's not much water left in a 5 gallon pot when you're finished. Would it be ok next time to use more water? I would like to get a bigger pot and a burner and do a full batch, is there any benefit to this? Do you have to adjust your recipe any? Would a 36 or 40 quart pot be big enough? I know, I ask a lot of questions, I am the squeaky wheel that must be greased.

Well, I would suggest starting some new threads with your questions, as this thread is going to be too long and the information will be lost. But the short answer is YES for all the questions! There are some adjustments to make, and we discuss that all the time. Hops utilization increases, a 36 quart pot is fine, the beer will improve with a bigger boil (less carmelization) etc.

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

YooperBrew said:
Well, I would suggest starting some new threads with your questions, as this thread is going to be too long and the information will be lost. But the short answer is YES for all the questions! There are some adjustments to make, and we discuss that all the time. Hops utilization increases, a 36 quart pot is fine, the beer will improve with a bigger boil (less carmelization) etc.

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:
Thank's for the info, i'll shut up for now. It's good to hear from someone from the homeland (grew up in Michigan) man I miss snowmobiling in the UP!

Haha- no need to shut up! If you click on "new posts" though, I've already answered some of those questions today and you might find it interesting.

Thanks for the laughs today- especially the "sir" thing. I'm still smiling!

Latest posts

Back