First High Gravity, Have a ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screw991le

Reaction score
This is my first high gravity beer. It is a Belgian Strong ale with a SG of 1.070

I have always done "regular beers" I pitched the yeast at 64 degrees which was white labs WPL500. I have noticed that the Fermentation has done nothing (24 hours later) Is this common for a high gravity beer?

I have not taken a reading as of yet, I was just wondering when I should be worried about seeing no bubbles.

Some people tell me to not worry until after 48 hours. But I have never seen a wort do this.

Can I do something to save the wort if it does not have any activity after 48 hours?

Thanks

Did you make a starter?? A high gravity beer like that really needs a good starter (or as an alternative you could have pitched two packages of yeast). I'm guessing you didn't, and that is most likely your issue. You'll probably be fine, you're just experiencing a long lag time. In the future I'd reccomend getting a starter going on all your brews (and especially the high grav ones). Read this if you are unfamiliar with the process http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Thanks, I have never brewed a high gravity beer before and most of the books I have read never said anything about double yeast. A starter, yes.

I just joined here on a referral from a friend of mine. So far, I like it.

Thanks

You need a starter for all beers regardless of gravity. #2 thing I think all homebrewers do wrong is consistently underpitch. #1 is not fermenting at the correct temperature.

Latest posts

Back