First high gravity brew help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm attempting my first high gravity brew this weekend. It's a strong belgian ale with a target OG of 1.112 and a desired abv of 11-12%. I'm using White Labs Belgian Ale Yeast (WLP550). Couple questions:

-I plan on making a bigger yeast starter than usual, but is there a guideline for how big to make it? I usually use this method pretty much exactly: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

-The recipe says to add some yeast to the secondary a few days before bottling - either Danstar Windsor Ales yeast or WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast. Any advice here? Will the WLP550 be able to take the beer to where I need it on its own?

-I'm using a mix of grains and extract. When calculating the water needed for my mash, should I factor in any water loss for the extract? I would think not, but I'm not sure.

-Any other advice on brewing high gravity beers and what makes the process different? I'm only making a half batch and putting it in a 6.5 gal bucket so a blowoff setup shouldn't be needed, but I'll have it ready and have my eye on it just in case.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I cant really answer your question about the starter because when I do high gravity brews I use multiple dry yeast packets because you don't have to worry about aerating as much with dry yeast.

I brewed barley wines at around 11% and never added yeast during bottling. What is the yeast threshold with alcohol? It took my rogue old crustacean about two months to carbonate properly with no extra yeast added at bottling.. Just good old US-05.

You do not need to calculate extract when determining the amount of water to use because you will be adding that after the boil has started. Just mash your grains, sparge, and then add extract when the boil begins.

The only advice I can give is give it time. It will get there but leave it alone in the primary for at least 4 week if not longer. I would NOT rack to a secondary. It will turn out awesome i'm sure. good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

What is your reason for not racking to a secondary? Just your general opinion on no secondaries or something in particular about high grav brews?

I think the more yeast you have in the primary the better off you will be for keeping a active base of yeast to clean up any off flavors and to finish the beer completely. Plus, I don't add yeast during bottling so I "believe" I might have more yeast in suspension when you do not rack to a secondary. That my opinion 100% though!

Back