First High Gravity... All-Grain or Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_dub4t

Reaction score
I am currently on my third all-grain batch (a munich dunkel). My other all-grain beers have been drinkable (good flavor), but even with modest starting gravity (1.047- 1.055) none of them have finished below 1.020. I assumed my mash temp was off, but my thermometer is calibrated and is showing the appropriate temperatures at the beginning and end of my mash. I make yeast starters and use the online calculators to determine the appropriate pitching rate. I also oxygenate.

I am planning on using the yeast from this batch to make an imperial pilsner (around the 1.090 OG range). I am nervous that something is wrong with my process and I will end up with a completely undrinkable 1.050 FG if I attempt this thing all-grain. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just go for it as an extract? I know it will ferment out then.

I welcome any comments, as I am unsure what my next step should be.

Just an opinion, but before I invested multiple months fermenting and lagering an imperial pilsner, I'd nail down my AG process on some beers that can be turned around quickly.

Yea, I understand that would be ideal, but since I just made a dunkel I could save about $20 by reusing the same yeast. Plus its too cold in my house for ale fermentation. I did just buy a bru belt, so I think I will be trying to nail down my AG process with ales after this attempt.

Thanks for the input.

This could be totally stupid and wrong, but is there a chance your water chemistry is off? Maybe if the pH is totally whacked then you are getting a lot of unfermentable sugars? Just a total guess here. Hoping someone with more experience in AG brewing can chime in.

What temp are you mashing at? Higher mash temps >150F can leave more unfermentables in your wort. But 1.047 to 1.027 sounds like something else going on in your process somewhere. Wish I had better info for you. I just had a AG barleywine go from 1.096 to 1.024 so it's definately possible to do it All Grain. Not sure why your FG's are coming out so high. What temp are you fermenting at too? If its getting too cool the yeast could be dropping out before finishing up. Did you try warming your last high FG batch up to 65-70F to see if the yeast would finish their work?

Yea, I understand that would be ideal, but since I just made a dunkel I could save about $20 by reusing the same yeast. Plus its too cold in my house for ale fermentation. I did just buy a bru belt, so I think I will be trying to nail down my AG process with ales after this attempt.

Thanks for the input.

What yeast are you using that would save $20?

j_dub4t said:

Thanks for the input.

If you just get some glass jars you could wash the yeast and keep it away for later, just google or YouTube yeast washing. I think there might be something a bit strange there, would be a shame to risk good ingredients.

If you're using a hydrometer make sure your sample temp is around 20C.... 68-70F . If its really cold there your reading might be off if your sample is too cold?

But I definitely agree that some good solid simple recipes should be on the cards to check and verify your process, if you have any friends around that know the difference between a HLT & MLT have them over as a second pair of eyes as well as a drinking buddy :)

The first beer I made was a 1.055 and I mashed at 154. The second was a 1.047 and I mashed at 152. Both finished out at about 1.020.

Does ph effect fermentability? i was under the impression that ph was related to efficiency and tannin extraction more than fermentability.

Back