First Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
So my first Hefe has been sitting in the keg carbing for a week. I only have three taps and they were already being occupied. One of them kicked last night so I quickly cleaned the lines and the tap and hooked up the hefe. Poured the first glass tonight:

Man, this was my 3rd AG and I swore I screwed it up. Undershot my mash temps by a good 7º - 8º and just couldn't get them to raise. My SG was a good 10 points short as well. But I tell ya...I'm very impressed. Gives me hope that when I get it right it will even be better.

OP
ShortSnoutBrewing

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
EdWort said:
Looks tasty! Correct glass too! Nice job!

How's the banana?

PERFECT! I just can't get over how well this came out.

About the glass...About 6 years ago Widmer in Portland changed their logo ever so slightly so they had a "garage sale" to get rid of all their old merch. A case of these glasses for $12!

OP
ShortSnoutBrewing

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
homebrewer_99 said:
:confused: Looks like an ordinary American Pilsner glass to me, not a German HW glass...;)
It's the angle of the picture. Trust me, this baby has curves! :mug:

fratermus

Reaction score
homebrewer_99 said:
:confused: Looks like an ordinary American Pilsner glass to me, not a German HW glass...;)...but the beer looks good!
Sure looks like a weizen glass to me.

At least all the *weizen that was served to me in {the former West} Germany was served in a glass like that.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
fratermus said:
Sure looks like a weizen glass to me.

At least all the *weizen that was served to me in {the former West} Germany was served in a glass like that.
OK, I let it go before, but let me explain myself/comment.

I lived in Germany for 9 years myself.

The glass pictured looks like a typical American/German Pilsner glass. They are similar in design, but are heavier (thicker) than a German HW glass which is more delicate.

I have about 6 of the heavier ones that I use when (certain) people come over because I do not want more of my real German HW glasses broken.

I'm only down to about 60 of them left. ;)

Weizen glass:

Pilsner glass: