First Hefe tomorrow, some, Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I didn't get a chance to make a starter for this one but whatever. For a Hefe, do I need to do a protein rest in the 120's before I go up to mash temps or can I do a single infusion. Also do I need to do a mash out?

Thanks!

Dan

What is your grain bill? If you are using a lot of pilsner malt I would do the protein rest. If your malt is fully modified (e.g. all 2-row+malted wheat), skip the protein rest. I don't see any reason to do a mash out.

Here is the recipe
4 lb pilsner
7 lb red wheat
.5 lb rice hulls
1 oz Hallertau pellets
WLP320 (American hefe)

This was Edworts recipe minus the WLP320.

I was thinking 122 for 20 minutes then 156 for 60 minutes. This is only my second AG batch though so I am still trying to figure everything out.

Dan

I did my first AG wheat last weekend. I've reached target gravity and I am about to move to secondary for another week. It came out great I am having my first taste of it right now, I couldn't have asked for a better beer, and I am really stoked because the recipe I made up on the fly at the beer store :rockin:

11lb wheat
7lb pale
1lb munich 10L
1lb crystal 20L
2oz Tetananger (boil)
1oz Tetananger (finish)
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

OG 1.054
FG 1.010

I had some crazy activity the night fallowing the pitch, almost exactly 24hours I had some serious blow off, I use 1/2gal growlers for my blow-off and had to empty them 3 times during the night.

Have 3 AG batches under my belt and going to do a 4th tommorrow. But good luck with your brew day tommorrow :mug:

Back