First "Good" Batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I put a batch of (yes I know it's late) Oktoberfest into a carboy as a secondary and tasted a little of it while waiting for the Primary bucket to drain. Tasted actually pretty good. Which is a first for me. The primary to secondary has alwasy tasted nasty to me, usually a little like gasoline, even when the eventual brew was pretty tasty. SO, my hopes for this brew are now very high. Here's hoping.

I had another question to add here, but can't remember. Been a long day, hiking, brewing, secondarying....

i wonder if your fermentation temps are usually on the warm side. that creates fusel alcohols that have a hotness to them.
now that its cooling off, this batch may have been below the thresh hold for their creation.

The temp thing is right on. I think about it now, my first attempts were in a thrid floor, Heat-and-hot-water included apartment. Couldn't turn the heat below 75F. Had eventually to wrap a wet towel with a fan on around the primary. But now I have a nice cool basement with a nice steady 60F temp. I have the carboys raised off the concrete on an old Coffee table (i.e."brew central" now).

I also just tasted my next batch made at this house, a coffee stout and DAMN! is it good. Can't wait for it to age a little and settle. Only problem is most of it is destined for my Landlord, as he let me have a turkey fryer in exhcange for my wife for the afternoon....
{she ran some errands for him. }
:)

Back