First full boil... should I adjust this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can also use hopville. it will tell you how the IBUs will turn out.

I've done full volume boils of kits plenty without hop adjustment though, and everyone except my wife liked the way they turned out.

So was the beer much more bitter? I've read things here between 20-50% increase... which is a pretty big range.

So was the beer much more bitter? I've read things here between 20-50% increase... which is a pretty big range.

For an IPA, I wouldn't adjust it. I think you'd be really happy just following the recipe.

If it was a very low IBU beer (say, 25 IBUs or under) where a pronounced bitterness would be out of place, I'd consider dropping the bittering hops 20% but I wouldn't adjust for the majority of beers.

I don't think the beers were so bitter that the taste didn't fit the style. I still recommend taking a little time to build your recipe on whatever you are using. Beersmith, hopville or other. You can see how you'll be affected that way with the volume, adjust by using less hops, or by doing late addition on your extract.

I tend to not worry about changing hop additions when I decide to do the occasoinal partial boil, but those are usually extract kits and I also do late extract addition which probably effects things as well.

I did my brew last night, and followed the suggestion here not to adjust anything. Things went pretty well, but unfortunately I seemed to totally whiff on the boil off calculation. The recipe makes 5 gallons, so I used 6.25 assuming that I'd lose 1 gallon in an hour of boil and .25 gallons in the strainer/trub.

When I poured to primary, it appeared like I had 6 gallons of wort? :drunk:
It was 85 degrees and somewhat humid, but curious if that small amount of boil-off is normal - or does it sound like my measuring bucket is off by a little bit?

I wish I took a gravity rating, but it was dark and I was exhausted. I'm just going to let it become beer and see what happens.

Back