First fruit beer - should I rack again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sichyotsohaia

Reaction score
Hi everyone, brand new here, and to brewing.

I started my first brew about 2 weeks ago, a Raspberry Dark Lager made from the Munich Dark Lager Brewhouse kit and 5lbs of delicious fresh raspberries. Bold going straight to a fruit ale for my first, a mistake certainly but its too late to turn back now.

Anyways, I let my beer ferment in a primary for a week, following the instructions from the kit. From here I racked it into a carboy ontop of the 5 lbs of raspberries I froze/squished up and put into it. It's been just under a week since then, but there's lots of gunk at the bottom and lots of raspberry chunks floating up top. It's pretty dark, but when I shine a good light on it it is very cloudy and a musky brown.

My question is should I let it continue to ferment in the carboy as is and it will settle better, or should I rack it into another carboy to help it clear?

Leave it. The more you transfer the greater the risk of oxidation and infection. It'll usually settle a bit on its own. If you have the ability to cold crash, that seems to help the fruit bits drop out too, so cold crash it a couple days before you keg/bottle.

Latest posts

Back